Care home costs to top £1,000 per week.

O'k Ron, but it looks to me that the cost is way to high right now.

Have you ever run a care home?

I suspect not - it is hard work and you have to have a very high occupancy rate to make ends meet. There's not much slack in the system for failure. The margin between profit and failure is quite slim.

One of the reasons why some older people have to move into care is because of the unsuitability of their current home. Staying on in houses that are too large, too costly to keep warm, no ground floor facilities etc can lead to great difficulties. As an older couple, we're already considering what and where we should move to before we become too infirm. We're not planning to do anything soon, but by considering our options now, moving won't come as a shock.

As part of a group of older volunteers, I've looked at extra care housing, and I've been impressed. I visited some apartments in Norfolk Park recently and they are great for older people. I'd happily live in something similar if it was in the right area. Spacious enough for walkers or wheelchairs, independent living at a reasonable rent, with the option of buying in care if needed. A central cafe, communal gardens and social events are available for anyone who wants to get involved, but it's not compulsory. I believe living in the right kind of home can delay the need for care, and reduce bed blocking. It can provide the right level of support that allows older people to maintain independence for as long as possible. Preferable to most of us to going into care.

Having looked after old people as a geriatric nurse it is very hard work. The pay for unqualified staff is meagre and the staff are often attacked and assaulted by aggressive dementia patients. These patients cannot help this but it is an unthankful job.Qualified staff are almost impossible to get and this affects the care in these homes.

People had better get saving then....

To be frank YES they should better get saving.

You know, things like planning for ones inevitable old age. Actually taking steps to think how you will be able manage in the future, ensuring there is enough money on the pot to look after yourself and seeking out what support is available from where and when.

How about people actually making their own plans for how things will be done if a time comes when someone cannot manage on their own. Howe about more people actually take trouble to pay into their own pension pot, think about future living arrangements, releasing equity, downsizing to a more suitable property, own family members providing support to their own relatives.

You know, simple things and just generally taking responsibility for yourself. A phrase that is vastly underused in society these days.

On the other hand of course, people could sit there expecting the government to sort them out and then sit back moaning about how dreadful it all is.

Edited by ECCOnoob

You know, things like planning for ones inevitable old age. Actually taking steps to think how you will be able manage in the future, ensuring there is enough money on the pot to look after yourself and seeking out what support is available from where and when.

How about people actually making their own plans for how things will be done if a time comes when someone cannot manage on their own. Howe about more people actually take trouble to pay into their own pension pot, think about future living arrangements, releasing equity, downsizing to a more suitable property, own family members providing support to their own relatives.

You know, simple things and just generally taking responsibility for yourself. A phrase that is vastly underused in society these days.

On the other hand of course, people could sit there expecting the government to sort them out and then sit back moaning about how dreadful it all is.

*Other people who have saved and made provision.

Have you ever run a care home?

I suspect not - it is hard work and you have to have a very high occupancy rate to make ends meet. There's not much slack in the system for failure. The margin between profit and failure is quite slim.

We did seriously think about it before the government moved the goalposts by stopping private residences operating as care homes, as I say, after that I noticed the caring going down as the price rocketed up, and I do say price because I think the price charged is very different to the costs. Anway, boiling it down, the government may have shot themselves in the foot by doing that.

Mmmm, so how do I save to meet a bill of £1,000 a week, when I only earn £1,000 a month, and have to live in the meantime?