Do people like to be 'outraged'?

Hardly a day goes by now without a storm of 'outrage' about what someone has said. Currently, the latest outburst of apoplectic fury is being vented against Donald Trump and Tyson Fury.

I suspect that righteous indignation of this kind provides people with a cathartic moral thrill - i.e. they get secret pleasure from being 'outraged'. Life would be much duller without our Donalds and Tysons.

Those two gentlemen are easy targets because they do not conform to modern day political correct nonsense and are highly successful in their chosen careers . Those making outbursts of apoplectic fury more than likely have never achieved anything meaningful in their lives and are motivated by jealously as a consequence of their own shortcomings to vent their anger at those who possess eliteness .

Edited by Gamston

Hardly a day goes by now without a storm of 'outrage' about what someone has said. Currently, the latest outburst of apoplectic fury is being vented against Donald Trump and Tyson Fury.

I suspect that righteous indignation of this kind provides people with a cathartic moral thrill - i.e. they get secret pleasure from being 'outraged'. Life would be much duller without our Donalds and Tysons.

I think generally the like to feel morally superior to others; and specifically, outraged. Imagine there is a rush of endorphins or something, that people feel when involved in the conflict...

I think people do, myself included if we are going to be honest. It allows them to make them feel better that they 'don't think like that' and means that can carry on without ever looking inside themselves to see that they also harbour some unpleasant views. Far easier to challenge someone else, than challenge yourself.

Protectionism basically.

And whilst I understand the basis of our discrimination laws, I do wonder if they have achieved what they set out to do and if perhaps they were a mistake? I don't know. Be good to hear other peoples views on them. Does protecting certain groups in law diminish the rights of the others?

In the past gay people have faced beatings, abuse, and real nastiness. Because of this, and other reasons, it was decided that sexual orientation would be a protected characteristic.

Does this diminish the rights of others? I don't think so, people aren't assaulted for being straight. Is it unfair on gay bashers? No in law it's potentially harsher, but that's the point.

As a consequence of being gay, I tend to get outraged at the way that some in society treat gay people. Having said that I tend to have higher expectations of other gay people in how they behave towards each other.... Believe it or not there's a lot of discrimination on the gay scene, and this saddens me.

---------- Post added 09-12-2015 at 18:06 ----------

Those two gentlemen are easy targets because they do not conform to modern day political correct nonsense and are highly successful in their chosen careers . Those making outbursts of apoplectic fury more than likely have never achieved anything meaningful in their lives and are motivated by jealously as a consequence of their own shortcomings to vent their anger at those who possess eliteness .

I've no problem celebrating successes such as that of David Attenborough, Ian McEwan or Neo Rauch, .

But why would anyone be jealous of Tyson Fury? I hate boxing, what he said was vile and he comes across as gormless and pig ignorant.

Edited by Mister M

---------- Post added 09-12-2015 at 18:06 ----------

I've no problem celebrating successes such as that of David Attenborough, Ian McEwan or Neo Rauch, .

But why would anyone be jealous of Tyson Fury? I hate boxing, what he said was vile and he comes across as gormless and pig ignorant.

Do you also consider most religions to be vile ? Has your hatred of boxing prejudiced you opinion of Tyson Fury ?

People who are envious of someone else's success is one reason for jealousy towards Tyson Fury .

Edited by Gamston
typo error

Do you also consider most religions to be vile ? Has your hatred of boxing prejudiced you opinion of Tyson Fury ?

People who are envious of someone else's success is one reason for jealousy towards Tyson Fury .

No I don't consider most religions to be vile. And no, my dislike of boxing hasn't prejudiced my opinion of Tyson Fury. Henry Cooper came across well and seemed pleasant and polite. The only thing that's prejudiced me of Tyson Fury, is what he said.

Once again I'm not jealous of Tyson Fury. I'm glad I'm not him.

Oh give over for christ's sake..many people are successful. His success has nothing to do with his moronic views...he'd have them successful or not. Just because you have the ability to physically knock ten bells out of someone doesn't automatically make you a contender for a Nobel prize in philosophy.

He should stick to what he's good at, using his fists.

Edited by cassity

Oh give over for christ's sake..many people are successful. His success has nothing to do with his moronic views...he'd have them successful or not. Just because you have the ability to physically knock ten bells out of someone doesn't automatically make you a contender for a Nobel prize in philosophy.

Gamston's comment is interesting, as it tells us about his aspirations.

Gamston's comment is interesting, as it tells us about his aspirations.

I have no aspirations to be the oldest World heavy weight boxing champion , but am pleased for Tyson Fury's achievement .

---------- Post added 09-12-2015 at 19:28 ----------

He should stick to what he's good at, using his fists.

Yes , he should knock the singing on the head ,

Just because you disagree with his opinions , doesn't make his views moronic .