Vulcan bomber 1950,s

biker

Great photos, Peter, and what a glamorous co-pilot! :) I seem to remember that in the early 1990s a Vulcan did a flypast at a Rother Valley Country Park event, but I wasn't able to get there. What a pity that the last Vulcan will soon be grounded, and nobody will ever again be able to fly in this iconic aircraft. The same applies, sadly, to Concorde - flying at Mach 2 is now just a memory for everyone except air force people. But here is a "Concorde composite" of my own 2003 trip. I got sozzled on the Veuve Clicquot and Hennessy XO! :)

Great photos, Peter, and what a glamorous co-pilot! :) I seem to remember that in the early 1990s a Vulcan did a flypast at a Rother Valley Country Park event, but I wasn't able to get there. What a pity that the last Vulcan will soon be grounded, and nobody will ever again be able to fly in this iconic aircraft. The same applies, sadly, to Concorde - flying at Mach 2 is now just a memory for everyone except air force people. But here is a "Concorde composite" of my own 2003 trip. I got sozzled on the Veuve Clicquot and Hennessy XO! :)

Hi hillsbro,

Yes, I like your Concorde composite pics. Lovely memories eh? The food and service was certainly better than trolley and box. :)

I also remember taking my eldest son to an RAF Finningley display in around 1977 when he was around 10 years old. ( he's now 49 and lives in the village of Everton close to the airport). It was the first time we saw a Vulcan close up in a hangar. It looked massive to us and fantastic in Cold War white. :)

Peter.

• 2 weeks later...
I just found this photo of a Vulcan at the Finningley display in 1977. Also included in the flypast were a Lancaster and a Nimrod.

Yes, I seem to remember that display. :):)

If you've not seen the programme on the last Vulcan flight, I haven't and will be viewing, there's a repeat on ''More 4 channel'' next Tues 29th Dec '15 at 9 pm.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

I just found this photo of a Vulcan at the Finningley display in 1977. Also included in the flypast were a Lancaster and a Nimrod.

Great pictures of 3 iconic aircraft. I must admit to a tinge of sadness at the Nimrod photo, as one crashed into Lake Ontario during the annual airshow in Toronto several years ago killing all crew members. My wife and daughters witnessed that tragic event, and were really upset when they heard of the loss of life involved. I was working that day so missed it, thankfully.

If you want to get up close to the last Vulcan to fly, you can book a hangar tour at Doncaster Airport. On the tour you can walk under the wings, and a guide will tell you all about it....fantastic.. I really enjoyed it. that was at the beginning of November 2015, a week after its last flight.

The Vulcan web site gives prices and the different tours, it's worth it.

Back in the late '50's early '60's? I remember my father taking me to Finningley to watch them take off. At the far side of the airfield was a lane which ran the length of the runway, the lane lead to gravel pits, that's where he used to park up, what a view of them taking off and landing.