Is it my imagination, or is their growing hatred for the religious?

Religion can be a comfortable club,devoid of love! the real glue to it all,not always by any means,some get it,..........but as JC said before being condemned to a horrific death on a plank of wood by the religious of the day and Italians who needed to appease the religious Jewish leaders........"few will go through the narrow gate"

Love is the ticket to the "narrow gate".........but beware! it is not some euphoric,spliffy, easy come easy go lurve! but more like already mentioned,Pauls letter to the Corinthians regarding real love!

... 1 Corinthians 13New International Version (NIV)

13 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

I find that if I do get snippy, it's usually when people are pasting bible spam rather than their own words.

Something I noticed as well. Not sure it's hatred, but hostility and intolerance to all religion. They all get roped in together.

Doesn't it make sense to voice opposition to something you strongly disagree with though? Even scorn a religious position if you think its ridiculous? There's ways of doing it, and probably some people are just being plain rude, but I think for the most part, people who aren't religious have had enough of religion having had such a strong influence over society.

I realised at a very early age that the bible stuff they were told us at primary school were stories, dressed up as factual lessons, just the same as maths or geography. I couldn't believe they expected us to swallow it whole, what an insult. I guess I'm still pretty peeved at how religion influences our lives, so maybe there's a lot of people out there like me who don't want to have to put up with listening to it all?

Edited by Olive

Talking about on this forum...

It just seems that every other thread, is some attack on the religious (esp. on Muslims). Am I just imagining it? Or is that really happening here? What do you think?

For the record; I generally do not like religion; but ... I dislike a whole lot more, people who think it's okay to be constantly snippy and rude towards other human beings who just so happen to be religious.

Are people here not capable of tolerance and compassion?

Ask Teeney...

Can you show us a hateful post from that thread?
Ooops sorry no!

I was responding more to Mel's usual schtick that it's only Islam that gets stick when it plainly isn't.

---------- Post added 10-12-2015 at 23:05 ----------

occasionally yes, but 99% of the vitriol is really reserved for islam like i said
I filter out anything by the knuckle dragging right wingers so maybe I don't notice it but I don't recall much actual hate for Islam in here.