The Wilson's have sold their Property Empire

This sentence gives you the answer

Controversial landlord says entire portfolio of hundreds of homes has been sold for more than £250m,

They have made their fortune. Thanks for the retirement fund, Job done.

Cant fault them. I just wish my property portfolio was as big as theirs .

They have also sold most of their portfolio to Chinese investors. Why does this worry me....

You don't like landlords, you don't like the Chinese being landlords, you don't like social housing when people don't pay their rents and are turfed out... what DO you want?

bit off topic but recently I had the misfortune to call into my bank and sort some stuff out. during this visit to my bank I was asked to watch a video telling me that any investment currently standing at £85.000 will be reduced to £75.000 in January 2016. this figure will affect all accounts despite you thinking that because you have different bank accounts if the parent bank has control over your bank you will lose out. do the gov know something we don't ( example are they going to do a Greece on us ):suspect:

bit off topic but recently I had the misfortune to call into my bank and sort some stuff out. during this visit to my bank I was asked to watch a video telling me that any investment currently standing at £85.000 will be reduced to £75.000 in January 2016. this figure will affect all accounts despite you thinking that because you have different bank accounts if the parent bank has control over your bank you will lose out. do the gov know something we don't ( example are they going to do a Greece on us ):suspect:

Are you considerably richer than us gem? :D

Britain's largest landlords have finally sold up.

Do they know something the rest of us don't?

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/dec/09/fergus-wilson-sells-buy-to-let-property-empire-foreign-consortium-landlord

From 2017 the interest on a btl mortgage will not be able to be offset against your tax bill.

More info here= http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/buy-to-let/10946303/How-to-maximise-your-buy-to-let-profits-by-paying-less-tax.html

I suppose I want our infrastructure to stay in British hands.

Do you mind if I have a drink to toast a reply from you? :D

-

As it happens, I would like our infrastructure to remain in 'British hands' (if I may use the term without sounding other-people-ist)

Would you prefer British landlords then rather than Chinese ones Anna?

If I was looking at people around the world, I quite like the Chinese personally, so if anyone is going to screw us, I'd prefer it to be them :)

-

The way things are going with the population of the world and our (UK) huge demands for rights and wages and equality, I think we're just utterly screwed. We are out-priced/undercut in almost everything now by poorer countries - it's the price we have to pay for all of our collective 'want', 'greed' and 'richness'.

Do you mind if I have a drink to toast a reply from you? :D

-As it happens, I would like our infrastructure to remain in 'British hands' (if I may use the term without sounding other-people-ist)

Would you prefer British landlords then rather than Chinese ones Anna?

If I was looking at people around the world, I quite like the Chinese personally, so if anyone is going to screw us, I'd prefer it to be them :)

-

The way things are going with the population of the world and our (UK) huge demands for rights and wages and equality, I think we're just utterly screwed. We are out-priced/undercut in almost everything now by poorer countries - it's the price we have to pay for all of our collective 'want', 'greed' and 'richness'.

For once we agree. Unless something radical happens we are all set to become the new third world. And it's a bit late to say 'we should share the wealth' when we didn't do it when the boot was on the other foot...

The rich will be alright of course, but the rest of us are, as you say, screwed...

And much as I like the Chinese, I prefer my landlords to be British. China is too far to come to unblock the sink.

Edited by Anna B