New 20mph speed limits

kirbydog

I came home from work today to find someone presumably Amey had painted large 20mph signs on our road, the interesting thing was they had painted them where cars would park over them. Now everyone is home from work the sign is obscured by parked cars. If the figures had been placed 3 meters further forward they would have been at the side of a double yellow and could not be obscured by parked cars.

Priceless planning and a complete waste of money, again.

It's another waste of money that could be better spent

No it isn`t. I think the default speed limit in residential areas should be 20mph. And they should have small hard to see mobile speed cameras (mounted on street lamps ? ) which are moved around every week or so to catch speeders. The fines should pay for the enforcement, and hopefully make a profit as well with any luck (to save us some council tax and/or improve public services).

Incidentally, 20mph is actually too fast for the road I live on.......

I noticed a fresh 20 zone symbol painted on the road of my block today for the first time. 20 miles an hour feels unnaturally slow and I find it hard to maintain it steadily without constantly taking my eyes of the road to check the speedometer.

I noticed a fresh 20 zone symbol painted on the road of my block today for the first time. 20 miles an hour feels unnaturally slow and I find it hard to maintain it steadily without constantly taking my eyes of the road to check the speedometer.

On the positive side, if a child runs into the road in front of you, he's less likely to be hit if you're doing 20mph, and, if he/she does get hit, your car will do them less damage than if you were doing, say, 30mph.

On the positive side, if a child runs into the road in front of you, he's less likely to be hit if you're doing 20mph, and, if he/she does get hit, your car will do them less damage than if you were doing, say, 30mph.

Obviously - so why not make it 10mph then as that would be even less likely and even less damage ?

Or perhaps have a man walking in front with a red flag ?

Or even ban the car altogether ? Zero car related deaths.

Or maybe we teach the kids the green cross code (or whatever it's modern day equivalent is) ? Just a thought :)

The area where I am has been 20mph for some time and people have slowly adjusted their behaviour. It's not an over night success story.

Correct - over the last couple of years between Commonside and Upperthorpe I'd estimate the average speed has gone down from about 35 mph to 25 mph - I haven't been flashed / overtaken for keeping to the limit (or a few mph above) this last year although happened a few times in the first six months or so.