New 20mph speed limits

kirbydog

If we have 20 mph limits can we have the speed humps removed as you don't need both.

Annoyingly people now drive at 15 mph even in areas where there aren't 20 mph restrictions because they presume it's a 20 mph.

If there a lot of hazards (eg parked cars, narrow lanes, poor sightlines, risk of pedestrians crossing etc) such that it looks like a 20 limit might be in place, then maybe 15 is appropriate. I can think is plenty of Sheffield streets where I wouldn't want to drive any faster.

I think 20 zones are, for the most part, good ideas. I think that in time people will start to trend towards lower speeds, even if not following them strictly to the letter.

I went along a 20 limit road, in Barnsley, a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure where, (near or in somewhere beginning with A, I think), to the north side - I was following the sat nav, and came back a different way so couldn't check. It appeared to be a fairly quiet road, with houses well set back, and had humps. It also had a speed camera which was in the 20 section, I think, but I couldn't check after the event. Maybe it was left over from when the road was 30, as I didn't think they enforced 20s.

Edit. If the limits are enforced instead or once people start sticking to the reduced limits, then I'd like to see the humps go.

---------- Post added 12-12-2015 at 08:33 ----------

According to "The Star" these signs are only advisory,therefore they are absolutely pointless and a complete waste of money.

Unless some drivers are in need of advice.

Edited by Eater Sundae

I'd prefer to see a 20 limit on Rustling Road than the current humps.

Indeed...driving at a steady 20mph is much better for fuel consumption and the environment than braking and accelerating between humps . Will no one think of the trees!

When I see folk accelerate up to 30 in the Crookesmoor 20 zone only to brake hard for the next queue, and the next one after that I wonder if somebody else pays for their petrol. Like Scotty used to say about the rules of physics, you're kind of stuck with them.

Yes after about a week of the new limits I slowed down to the 20mph. If I crash into a cyclists or pedestrian at 30 I am very likely to kill them maybe 50 to 70% chance. If I crash into another human at 20mph I am very unlikely to kill another person. Yes maybe the kid just ran out behind a parked cars and it wasn't our fault. Well now it is our fault because if you stick to 20mph that kid has a 95+% chance of surviving.

Most non main roads in cities should be 20mph. And people who kill others with motor vehicles should be charged with murder, and only if they can prove they were not speeding or texting or drunk etc should the charge be manslaughter. Death by dangerous driving is basically letting someone off murdering another person just because they did it with a vehicle.

Yes after about a week of the new limits I slowed down to the 20mph. If I crash into a cyclists or pedestrian at 30 I am very likely to kill them maybe 50 to 70% chance. If I crash into another human at 20mph I am very unlikely to kill another person. Yes maybe the kid just ran out behind a parked cars and it wasn't our fault. Well now it is our fault because if you stick to 20mph that kid has a 95+% chance of surviving.

Where do you get your figures from, they're wildly wrong!?!?!?

http://www.roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/1191.html

latest research shows that the probability of death is now 7% at 30mph and 31% at 40mph.

You were many times further out than even the government when they were caught lying about the figures!!!!