Would you join the British Armed Forces?

Fantastic. I'm guessing that your facebook group isn't likely to include homeless ex-military though? (People without homes generally don't have internet access).

I'm wondering if your 'finger is on the pulse' with regards to homeless ex-military and their attitude to pity?

Because although many of us maintain contact via face book we are also still members of regimental associations who in turn pass on details of ex servicemen that are struggling or needing help.

We signpost to:

British Legion

SSAFA

Forces Covenant

Regimental charities and a plethora of other charities that are available out there.

Where does your knowledge of servicemen,s pity come from?

Because although many of us maintain contact via face book we are also still members of regimental associations who in turn pass on details of ex servicemen that are struggling or needing help.

We signpost to:

British Legion

SSAFA

Forces Covenant

Regimental charities and a plethora of other charities that are available out there.

Where does your knowledge of servicemen,s pity come from?

What does 'struggling or needing help' actually mean. It seems to me there's a very big difference between struggling and needing help, and being homeless.

Those struggling or needing help, can often be assisted, by, for example, given them help, giving them an ear, giving them a bit of cash to tide them through a bad patch.

Being homeless generally won't be solved by that kind of help, as it tends to go along with being mentally ill, addicted to alcohol and a host of other issues.

Often homeless people are beyond the reach of charities.

I'm not knocking your groups work, but I was specifically posting about homeless ex-service men/women, and, when people are really, really down, their attitude to pity is very different to that of people with homes and a place in society.

I'd imagine not one of those homeless ex-service men/women could have ever imagined, when they enlisted, that, 10 years down the line they'd be asking passing strangers for money. Or being addicted to alcohol, because getting inebriated is the only way to deal with sleeping in the cold.

Not that the army lifestyle and it's focus on alcohol would be helpfull in that regard (Unless things have changed since my Dads day, cos the fact that my Dads alcoholism pretty much trashed his family life, wasn't helped by his drinking being seen as completely normal at the army socials).

Can't believe I missed this

Did this ACTUALLY get said?

Wow

Soldiers are absolved of all responsibility?

WHY?

Who forced them to join up?!

Did they not know what their job entailed??

Who's fault is THAT?? :mad:

Jeeez! You're only breathing because soldiers sacrificed their lives to enable you to do so. Very selfish indeed.

---------- Post added 14-12-2015 at 19:11 ----------

Is there a point in there are you just bashing the keyboard like a chimp and getting lucky?

Haha!...:hihi:

I never understand why there are so many ex-serviceman on the streets.
It doesn't matter that you don't understand why- the overiding point is that there are so many ex-serviceman on the streets.

I never understand why there are so many ex-serviceman on the streets. Contrary to public opinion the Army has a fantastic support network for those leaving, but I can only assume it doesn't (or didn't as I'm sure things have changed in the last decade) go far enough, or that some soldiers leave with mental illnesses that don't get the medical support they need.

When I left I had interview courses, £2k funding for a computer training course, careers fairs with employers who actively seeked ex-serviceman/woman, had my CV re-written with an expert, was offered help finding accommodation, had access to a helpline who would assist in almost any matter I could think of, from how to pay council tax through to if I was feeling depressed.

Support networks are great for those who can access and use them.

Speaking from my autistic perspective, I can guarantee you that not everyone who leaves the army can find support appropriate for them.

Again, speaking from my autistic perspective, I can tell you that, over the past ten years, things have got way harder for me, due to increasing systematisation, depersonalisation and modernisation. Sad but true, but most 'support' out there is impossible for many to access, as it requires paperwork, dealing with absurd automated phone systems, complience with utter nonsense etc.

I suspect that a fair portion of those who enlisted 10 years ago, probably did so cos they couldn't really deal well with the world they were in.

Leaving ten years later, when things have gone (from their perspective) even more downhill, must be a real hard thing to deal with- too hard for some, hence they end up homeless.

We are 5th in the list of largest military spenders.

People say, "Uh-Uh, Bill, Iraq had the fourth-largest army in the world." Yeah, well, maybe, but, you know what? After the first three largest armies there's a really big f***ing drop-off, okay?

Bill Hicks, Relentless (1992)

Interestingly, in this article that lists the 29 largest armies in the world, Britain... isn't even placed.

Yes, we're outgunned by Sri Lanka and Eritrea.

Size of Chinese army: 2,285,000

Size of UK army: 156,940 [LINK]

You might say, well, we have nukes and Sri Lanka does not.

But if we start tossing a few nukes in the direction of China or Russia, I really wouldn't make any long term holiday plans for that year.

Interestingly, in this article that lists the 29 largest armies in the world, Britain... isn't even placed.

But if we start tossing a few nukes in the direction of China or Russia, I really wouldn't make any long term holiday plans for that year.

We moved away from being a numbers armed forces a good while ago, nowadays it's all about professionalism and technology.

UK is much smaller so easier to defend, one of our soldiers only needs to defend 1.5km² whilst the chineese soldier will have to defend 4.2km².