Would you join the British Armed Forces?

Interestingly, in this article that lists the 29 largest armies in the world, Britain... isn't even placed.

Yes, we're outgunned by Sri Lanka and Eritrea.

Size of Chinese army: 2,285,000

Size of UK army: 156,940 [LINK]

You might say, well, we have nukes and Sri Lanka does not.

But if we start tossing a few nukes in the direction of China or Russia, I really wouldn't make any long term holiday plans for that year.

Its not just about how many men you have, its about what equipment, what experience and how well they are trained.

TFH, this is obviously a button for you

So I'm just going to ask if YOU are military

Or your family?

If so, it may aswell be like showing a picture of Mohammed

To a muslim

No sensible discussion is possible! :hihi:

---------- Post added 14-12-2015 at 19:59 ----------

You wouldn't know the truth if you fell over it

For someone who uses the trump card of WW2

To try and kill any discussion about the reality of murdering soldiers

IN THE PRESENT DAY

Well, this is a pretty ironic statement

And read up on the rules of engagement in Afghanistan

Care to explain this?

Edited by Solomon1

Or your family?

To a muslim

IN THE PRESENT DAY

Care to explain this?

No near family in the military since WW2. My work has taken me into contact with literally hundreds of service personnel over all three branches, from colonels downwards, from umpteen different countries. Theres a huge difference between them - some have been quiet and reserved, some the stereotypical public school educated toffs and some have been some very scary people indeed. Some are nice some are tossers. Most are normal people. Statistically 10% are psychopaths but you'll probably find a comparable number in the Nhs.

You refer to soldiers as murderers (this coming from a guy who thinks any criminal who won't reform should be killed - I'll find the link) - if you take the time to read up on the rules of engagement ie what they can do before they shoot someone. It's an eye opener, which makes your post utter tripe. And most haven't killed anyone, I'd argue, certainly percentage wise. A fair chunk would have seen a comrade or civillian blown up with an ied.

Or your family?

To a muslim

IN THE PRESENT DAY

Care to explain this?

To be brutal you come across as a whiny never served belter chucking out tired cliches that won't impress anyone outside the likes of the StWC.

Nobody forced us to join. Nobody I served with ever expected to be regarded as a bally hero. But neither do they expect to be labelled murderers by the likes of you.

To be brutal you come across as a whiny never served belter chucking out tired cliches that won't impress anyone outside the likes of the StWC.

Nobody forced us to join. Nobody I served with ever expected to be regarded as a bally hero. But neither do they expect to be labelled murderers by the likes of you.

Come off it, we all new the world was full of nutters ready to slag us off.

You refer to soldiers as murderers

Murder: "An act of deliberate killing of another being, especially a human"

---------- Post added 14-12-2015 at 22:10 ----------

Nobody forced us to join. Nobody I served with ever expected to be regarded as a bally hero. But neither do they expect to be labelled murderers by the likes of you

I'm just calling a spade a spade

---------- Post added 14-12-2015 at 22:16 ----------

As is Harry Patch: http://www.filmsforaction.org/watch/harry-patch-antiwar-hero/

---------- Post added 14-12-2015 at 22:17 ----------

UK Veterans speak out against War: http://www.filmsforaction.org/watch/powerful-testimony-uk-veterans-speak-out-against-war-for-peace/

---------- Post added 14-12-2015 at 22:22 ----------

"I think it's important that we counter the myths and propaganda that the military push out about these wars. The myth that anything that the military participates in is a noble cause. Here in the 21st Century, we are still using violence and military force as a political instrument"

Murder: "An act of deliberate killing of another being, especially a human"

So do you believe that our youth murdered the German youth on the beaches on Normandy during D-day? Or our servicemen murdered Argentines whilst liberating the Falklands from the control of the facist Argentinian Junta?

So do you believe that our youth murdered the German youth on the beaches on Normandy during D-day? Or our servicemen murdered Argentines whilst liberating the Falklands from the control of the facist Argentinian Junta?

Yes

What word do you use

To describe murder?

Edited by Solomon1

Yes

What word do you use?

When you consider the definition of murder to be an unlawful killing, I certainly wouldn't use that word.

The trouble is, we need to use a common language if we are to be able to converse with each other, you can't go inventing you own definitions based upon our own subjective opinions can you?

One things for sure, after seeing the Nazis and the communists murder tens of millions, it's a good job we had those people who were willing to do unmentionable things that changed their lives for ever.

Their sacrifices gave you the opportunity to have your misguided principles.

Yes

What word do you use?

Defending?

See, I'm more or less a tree hugging, sprout eating gaybo liberal, but I do believe in combating evil. Nazi Germany was evil, even if the individual soldiers were not. So I'd class any action against them as justified.

On a personal note my Grandad came back from WW2 with a DCM and PTSD. I'd have preferred he had neither because he never got over the war, nor did his family, and he never saw his daughter. And he turned into a monster. His medal is my proudest possession, but although I love him, I wish he'd never been forced to do what he did.