Carpet fitting problems

Hi guys,

Thought I'd try and get some advice on this one.

I'll not name and shame, because there's no point.

We needed a carpet fitting in our dining room, it's a relatively small job, but we need it to rent out the property.

We contacted a company on Facebook, who have 1,000s of like as we needed the job doing swiftly.

The estimator came out 20 minutes later, fantastic.

We said we would prefer it fitted Friday, he said it couldn't be done but Saturday is fine and we said we were only available in the morning (in between houses and decorating) he told us that is fine and he'd make sure it was the first job on Saturday,

He also said he try and fit us in before.

He then got some samples, he pointed out one which is end of the line and needed getting rid of and he would do a discount.

Wasn't too keen on it, but it's not us that needs to look at it.

He wanted 50% deposit up front, but wanted it 'off the books', it was only a small amount and the company seemed credible so we paid it and the remainder on fitting.

So anyway, it was possible to do it Thursday but we couldn't get back to the property in time so it couldn't be done.

They then said Friday was ok and we agreed that, but they then couldn't make it, so we agreed to leave it until the Saturday, no issues.

Saturday comes and they said it was t be fitted in the afternoon, so we queried this as we have a charity event and other stuff, transpires this afternoon is around 6/7.

We spoke with the estimate who denied all knowledge of this and said he could only state Saturday,

Further discussion was made about him lying and him denying it.

We agreed that it can be done on the Sunday as we are at that house then.

They have then stated they need the remainder paid up front by pay pal (to ensure it is insured) before the fitter attends tomorrow.

They claim the carpet has been cut (even though we was told it was end of the line and needed to be rid of).

They now want it through the books even though the original paid was to be 'off the books'.

They're refusing to repay the deposit because of it being 'cut'.

What are people's opinions on this, the amount is not an issue, but it's the principal of lying it all up front before fitting,

Also, if I want to try claim the original amount back, what are my options?

It does seem strange, paying up front, but I had to do that when I bought my carpet, and then I had to pay the carpet fitter separately. Altho it was all arranged by the carpet shop.

No concerns with doing that at all, the whole thing has been a bit of a joke and shows them to be the comedy business they actually are.

Your mistake was to agree to get involved in an 'off the books' transaction .

Couldn't agree more, however now they're saying it is on the books and wanting funds before proceeding to issue a fitter.

For me, it should be clear, let the customer know if you want funds up front, deposit, or nothing. The customer then chooses if they wish to proceed with that scenario.

Not change your mind on how you want funds paying halfway through the transaction.

Couldn't agree more, however now they're saying it is on the books and wanting funds before proceeding to issue a fitter.

For me, it should be clear, let the customer know if you want funds up front, deposit, or nothing. The customer then chooses if they wish to proceed with that scenario.

Not change your mind on how you want funds paying halfway through the transaction.

If I was in your shoes , I would ask them to give you a quote for another job and then give them the impression you will give them more business after they have sorted out the first job . Play them at their own game .

There was a verbal contract, so I m sure I'm sure you'd have some muscle legally, if it went that far. How about mentioning you are considering going to the Star and Trading standards? The threat of having your companys' name slurred might have an effect?

I have a small carpet firm, and rarely would I want more than a deposit on a job, for which I would always issue a receipt or pre-invoice.

The carpet trade is so very seasonal, there are weeks, months even of little or no work and then all of a sudden, especially like pre-xmas, there is more work than one can cope with as everyone wants it doing during the same couple of weeks. Some firms decide to be less than honest in order to grab work, even promising fitting dates they know they wont be able to honor in order to secure the work. If the firm employs fitters, they will no doubt be run ragged trying to get as much completed as is possible.

I'm sorry to hear this story. I hope you find a solution.