Cleaner air, who can be against that?

Actually it's most designed to cheat the emissions test and get the car a better rating.

One part of the emissions test just basically involves driving and coming to a stop, then waiting (simulating pulling upto a junction maybe?)

If the car shuts it'self down when it comes to a stop then it's total emissions for that part of the test are amazing (because the engine is not running)

The difference stop-start makes to the emissions banding is quite significant, even on like for like engines/vehicles.

There is a slight fuel advantage, but it's very specific and usually only for cars sat for long periods in heavy traffic.

Well if the engine is not running of course the emissions are lower. This is a good thing no?

What happens in the case of start/stop technology when your battery is low?

Under normal circumstances even a petrol car will run for an extended period with a near dead battery, once you've got it started with a jump or a push etc.

A car with stop start would surely need to be jumped or pushed at every set of traffic lights.

Obviously when you have a near dead battery you'll want to replace it at the first opportunity, but in the meantime you'd quite like to get home.

What happens in the case of start/stop technology when your battery is low?

Under normal circumstances even a petrol car will run for an extended period with a near dead battery, once you've got it started with a jump or a push etc.

A car with stop start would surely need to be jumped or pushed at every set of traffic lights.

Obviously when you have a near dead battery you'll want to replace it at the first opportunity, but in the meantime you'd quite like to get home.

The car won't stop/start if the battery is too low....

The ECU can be trusted to know that the battery is knackered?

Also, does it reduce the life expectancy of the battery and/or the starter?

Yes I believe the ECU can be trusted..it's a battery specifically designed for the job...I wouldn't think an extra few starts a day would cripple the starter motor which,I assume,is designed for the job..my last car had this and I did about 130,000 miles in 3 years in it without a problem

Edited by truman

Well if the engine is not running of course the emissions are lower. This is a good thing no?

of course, but the technology shows it's greatest effect in the testing procedure, it's usually good for about 10% drop in the CO2 emission banding figure just on it's own, which can drop the car into a lower band and cheaper tax.

Realistically the car will only ever be 'more efficient' when it's in heavy traffic and the stop start does it's job, the rest of the time there's no difference between the two - other than the tax banding.

of course, but the technology shows it's greatest effect in the testing procedure, it's usually good for about 10% drop in the CO2 emission banding figure just on it's own, which can drop the car into a lower band and cheaper tax.

Realistically the car will only ever be 'more efficient' when it's in heavy traffic and the stop start does it's job, the rest of the time there's no difference between the two - other than the tax banding.

Except for perhaps the extra weight and/or resources from increasing the spec on the battery and the starter.

At the moment I have a Qashqai diesel with stop/start..I've had it a year and done 37,000 miles..my average MPG over that time over all sorts of roads and traffic conditions is 63 mpg..seems reasonably efficient to me..

---------- Post added 14-12-2015 at 14:00 ----------

Except for perhaps the extra weight and/or resources from increasing the spec on the battery and the starter.

Do you have any experience of a stop/start system or are you just guessing?