Cleaner air, who can be against that?

"Cleaner air, who can be against that?"

As I live in the sticks the air seems fine to me.

As a rough guide, if you're going to be parked for more than 30 seconds, turn off your engine and restart when you are ready to move on. You're likely to use less fuel, reduce unnecessary emissions, improve air quality and avoid the risk of receiving a Fixed Penalty.

The legislation covers any vehicle on a public road including buses, taxis, commercial vehicles and private cars. It does not cover vehicles stopped at traffic lights, in slow moving traffic (i.e. congestion or road works), vehicles under test or repair or defrosting a windscreen in very cold weather.

Not sure which authorities are enforcing this rule, most areas rarely see a traffic warden.

As a rough guide, if you're going to be parked for more than 30 seconds, turn off your engine and restart when you are ready to move on. You're likely to use less fuel, reduce unnecessary emissions, improve air quality and avoid the risk of receiving a Fixed Penalty.

The legislation covers any vehicle on a public road including buses, taxis, commercial vehicles and private cars. It does not cover vehicles stopped at traffic lights, in slow moving traffic (i.e. congestion or road works), vehicles under test or repair or defrosting a windscreen in very cold weather.

Not sure which authorities are enforcing this rule, most areas rarely see a traffic warden.

I'm still not happy.

I don't trust air I can't see.

Engines are subject to most wear at startup - an idling engine has essentially zero wear occurring.... so lots of restarts are not expecially good. Also if you are going to reheat a cat every time to stop and start, that's more pollution probably than just idling...

According to Islington council, an idling vehicle produces twice as many exhaust fumes as one on the go and diesel engines produce substantially more.

I do not know if its true ;)

http://www.keepmeontheroad.co.uk/spot-fines-idling-drivers/

---------- Post added 14-12-2015 at 20:12 ----------

Sheffield City Council states the pollutants it is "mainly concerned about" are Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) and fine particulate matter (PM10 and PM2.5), which come from burning fuels such as petrol, diesel, gas, wood and coal.

Maybe a law should be passed that only electric cars, buses and trucks are allowed in Cities/Towns. That will enhance the air quality.

It's been talked about before, no doubt it'll be fully enforced when the technology is available.

What about a bus at bus stop?

At some of the ones in the centre of town they can be there for a few minutes if alot of people get on/get off.

They also occasionally pull over and wait at a stop if they're running ahead of time.