Drivers of expensive cars : what do they do for a living ? ! ?

Errrrrrr. I think you`re confusing jealousy with curiosity......

And you`ve missed the most important point on this thread, what proportion of ones disposable income one is prepared to spend on a car. That and most large cars depreciate like a stone, so if it isn`t a year or two old it may not be worth as much as one would think.

I thought I would throw some figures up for me. Rough ones

Also what would people guess this car is worth today? Ill not say its age as that could give the game an unfair advantage.

Its list price new was circa £74k with options.

The last 6 months its had (including £120 to be spent this week on a small repair)

£1800. so £300 a month to maintain. Plus about the same in finance payments. so £600 a month to sit on the drive before Fuel, Insurance and Road Tax. Taking what I use a month in to account that takes it to a little over £1000 a month to run and own currently.

That is a good % of my disposable income. But to me its worth every penny.

As for reliability. It is very good. Its German. but its still a car thats designed to do 180mph and handle perfectly and all that comes with the reliability trade off.

8ed3ec18-04f0-4565-ba68-76a6efb59b21.jpg

So it would show me as being in debt as I've just bought petrol on my credit card, despite there being enough in my bank account to pay it off several thousand times over?

It doesn't show you as anything.

You would however have contributed to the overall debt figure, albeit in a small way.

The point is more about the change in the figures over time though. And really, a £50 CC debt isn't going to massively alter an average debt of £59k for 30 million households.

---------- Post added 16-12-2015 at 09:16 ----------

Do you have kids, C? ;):D

I don't.

My parents do though, and they are relatively recently retired.

They have nothing to spend money on except cars and holidays. (And they aren't really into fancy cars).

I thought I would throw some figures up for me. Rough ones

Also what would people guess this car is worth today? Ill not say its age as that could give the game an unfair advantage.

Its list price new was circa £74k with options.

The last 6 months its had (including £120 to be spent this week on a small repair)

£1800. so £300 a month to maintain. Plus about the same in finance payments. so £600 a month to sit on the drive before Fuel, Insurance and Road Tax. Taking what I use a month in to account that takes it to a little over £1000 a month to run and own currently.

That is a good % of my disposable income. But to me its worth every penny.

As for reliability. It is very good. Its German. but its still a car thats designed to do 180mph and handle perfectly and all that comes with the reliability trade off.

8ed3ec18-04f0-4565-ba68-76a6efb59b21.jpg

A car that requires £300 a month in maintenance and/or repair, are you kidding when you say it`s reliable" ? ! ? I`m very curious to know, I`m assuming you own your own house, but have have you got a family ? And if so what do they think about you spending a good percentage of your disposable income on a car ?

I don`t think I`ve ever bought any of my cars (or bikes when I used to be into them) on finance, always cash, paying interest on anything other than a house makes no financial sense.

As an aside, the fact that it`ll do 180mph is totally irrelevant, certainly in this country, but also, I`d warrant, in Germany. I find it impossible to believe that the German police wouldn`t prosecute a driver doing 180mph.

Edited by Justin Smith

And you`ve missed the most important point on this thread, what proportion of ones disposable income one is prepared to spend on a car. That and most large cars depreciate like a stone, so if it isn`t a year or two old it may not be worth as much as one would think.

I think there was a thread in the past that asked exactly that question, with a poll.

---------- Post added 16-12-2015 at 09:22 ----------

I know quite a few people, both personally and through business, but none that I`m sure could spend "half a million pounds" on a car, and certainly not "10 Ferraris". Maybe that explains why I can`t understand how so many people can apparently afford expensive cars.

You never did define what an expensive car was though?

Most of the thread has been spent talking about some ugly Range Rover :mad: Now you're talking about a supercar.

I don't.

My parents do though, and they are relatively recently retired.

They have nothing to spend money on except cars and holidays. (And they aren't really into fancy cars).

Your parents may not be a representative sample ;)

A car that requires £300 a month in maintenance and/or repair, are you kidding when you say it`s reliable" ? ! ? I`m very curious to know, I`m assuming you own your own house, but have have you got a family ? And if so what do they think about you spending a good percentage of your disposable income on a car ?

I don`t think I`ve ever bought any of my cars (or bikes when I used to be into them) on finance, always cash, paying interest on anything other than a house makes no financial sense.

As an aside, the fact that it`ll do 180mph is totally irrelevant, certainly in this country, but also, I`d warrant, in Germany. I find it impossible to believe that the German police wouldn`t prosecute a driver doing 180mph.

My spidey senses are tingling about the beginnings of envy, here...:suspect:

I mean...what is to you, Justin, if davidathomas chooses to spend £300+ pm on his car? Don't ask the question if you're not going to like the answers.

Edited by L00b

I think there was a thread in the past that asked exactly that question, with a poll.

That's the thing isn't it? Disposable income. For me that's after my mortgage, bills, savings, basic food costs. So if those are paid for then what's wrong with me spending a large amount of what's left on a car? When I have kids those numbers will change slightly, but if can still afford a sports car I'll still get it as opposed to simply spending every last penny on tat for my kids.

Seriously? You don't know that 40% of the Autobahn has no speed limit? Even though we've talked about it before.

---------- Post added 16-12-2015 at 09:29 ----------

Took a bit of search fu to find this

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=97799

---------- Post added 16-12-2015 at 09:39 ----------

Funny to think back to 2006, I think I was driving a Ford Cougar and considering buying a BMW Z4 2.5, which I did and then soon after I left permanent employment and became self employed, and then I upgraded again in 2010, and am considering an upgrade now.

You never did define what an expensive car was though?

Most of the thread has been spent talking about some ugly Range Rover :mad: Now you're talking about a supercar.

I`m talking about Supercars making an oblique point about how many posters on here really know anyone who can afford 10 Ferraris.

On the wider point about an expensive car on this thread I sort of answered that here :

That`s a very good question, and, as was pointed out earlier, the age of the car is also of great relevance. In some ways I`m the wrong person to ask about what an expensive car is. For years and years I`ve spent the smallest amount I can on a car, I get no pleasure from driving any more, it`s simply a matter of getting from A to B safely, reliably and economically. We probably spend one of the lowest proportions of our disposable income on cars. In fact before or lad was born, when we had even older cars and more disposable income, I`d say we`d have been in the top 1% of disposable income to car spend !

Bearing all the above in mind, I`d say spending even £6000 a year on buying and running one car would be a lot of money as far as I`m concerned. Remember it`s not just buying the car, it`s its depreciation, its fuel bill (people with Range Rovers doing 90mph on the motorway ? ! ? ), its servicing, its insurance etc etc. And running a car is paid for from ones taxed income don`t forget, so to spend £6000 that`d be not far off £10,000 of your salary, more if you`re a top rate tax payer, a bit less if not. But what standard rate tax payer could spend £6000 on running a car (particularly if they`ve got kids and/or paying a mortgage) ?