Drivers of expensive cars : what do they do for a living ? ! ?

You are quite simply wrong. Sorry but you are.

So, you`re saying that German police wouldn`t prosecute a driver doing 180mph past other traffic doing 100mph less ? I`d be amazed if that were true be, can you prove it ? If it is true the German traffic police are guilty of a severe dereliction of duty, is there no offence of dangerous driving in Germany ? If overtaking at around 100mph more than the other traffic isn`t dangerous I`d very much like to know what is.....

---------- Post added 16-12-2015 at 13:27 ----------

I'm quite jealous right now. What were you driving?

Are you being serious...... Surely not.

Justin, why do you insist on arguing about things which you clearly have no knowledge of?

You make up a position in the absence of knowledge or facts, and then argue that position despite multiple people telling you it's not the case. And ask for impossible proof of negatives again and again.

So, you`re saying that German police wouldn`t prosecute a driver doing 180mph past other traffic doing 100mph less ? I`d be amazed if that were true be, can you prove it ? If it is true the German traffic police are guilty of a severe dereliction of duty, is there no offence of dangerous driving in Germany ? If overtaking at around 100mph more than the other traffic isn`t dangerous I`d very much like to know what is.....

---------- Post added 16-12-2015 at 13:27 ----------

Are you being serious...... Surely not.

Shout all you like about it - they wont do a thing if you are driving safely. In congestion - they will throw the book at you. Quite rightly. But an aware, considerate, fast reacting driver thinking ahead, they will leave alone.

---------- Post added 16-12-2015 at 13:30 ----------

It is though. A guideline is not a limit above which you will be prosecuted.

(Only about 40% is unlimited).

Entirely correct. Best not to speed on the bits that aren't. They enforce those quite well.

I'm quite jealous right now. What were you driving?

An 850CSi BMW. IT has the standard 5.6L V12 but it was tweaked a bit by fitting a low boost turbocharger. It makes about 400PS at the rear wheels.

The stock one with the S70 engines will do 190mph, we've had mine up at 205 on the Nordschleife and we think there is probably another 20mph to be had but as you approach 205 you start to get aerodynamic flutter on the front and it's... concerning.

IT also needs better braking if you push that sort of speed - a full on crash stop will leave you with smoking, and slightly glowing discs.

Shout all you like about it - they wont do a thing if you are driving safely. In congestion - they will throw the book at you. Quite rightly. But an aware, considerate, fast reacting driver thinking ahead, they will leave alone.

Driving at 180mph when there`s any other traffic within a mile of you is quiet patently not safe, that`s obvious, and that`s all I`m saying on this because this is turning from an interesting thread into a stupid "forum argument".

Edited by Justin Smith

It is though. A guideline is not a limit above which you will be prosecuted.

(Only about 40% is unlimited).

The guideline is best described as a reversal of proof - if you crash at over 130kph then they assume it's your fault and you pay the costs unless you can show otherwise.

But as you say, its a guideline not a law. Most of the dangerous (read 2-lanes) autobahn is restricted as you say.

Driving at 180mph when there`s any other traffic within a mile of you is quiet patently not safe, that`s obvious, and that`s all I`m saying on this because this is turning from an interesting thread into a stupid "forum argument".

For the third time.

Have you ever driven on the unrestricted autobahn.

If you refuse to reply I'll assume the answer is no and correct your misconceptions accordingly.