Things happening on run up to Christmas

Its interesting that the two things you mention have little to do with Christmas and more just an advertising gimmick for some conglomerate. *not having a go, just more an observation.

Try seeking some carol service or cristingle. The German markets are still in town and the rotary may still do their Santa tour.

To be honest by the end of this week, events tend to wind down ready for the big day.

Meadowhall has kindly decided to stay open till 11pm up to Christmas, which is probably the best time to go to avoid the madness. I do feel for the staff who have to do the long hours but hopefully they will be recompensed accordingly for the unsociable hours. It's a mad world.

Meadowhall has kindly decided to stay open till 11pm up to Christmas, which is probably the best time to go to avoid the madness. I do feel for the staff who have to do the long hours but hopefully they will be recompensed accordingly for the unsociable hours. It's a mad world.

It is a mad world. Are they paying staff for taxis home as well?

But there are still developed places outside UK where shops are closed Sunday and stay open late only once or twice a week.

Its interesting that the two things you mention have little to do with Christmas and more just an advertising gimmick for some conglomerate. *not having a go, just more an observation.

Try seeking some carol service or cristingle. The German markets are still in town and the rotary may still do their Santa tour.

To be honest by the end of this week, events tend to wind down ready for the big day.

I suppose it comes down to how you define 'Christmas' … either as the one with religious connotations (many of which are wrong anyway), or the more popular variant of Santa, bag of presents and all that gubbinns.

If the latter, I suppose it is really a big advertising gimmick as you mention, due to the fact that it was Coca Cola who popularised the now standard image of Santa in advertising campaigns in the 1930's. In days before TV, posters were the best way to advertise, so their specially designed (Sundblom) posters of Santa, often with him holding a can of Coke (to promote winter sales) shaped the way people imagine Santa would appear.

As such, you could say that Christmas has a lot to do with Coca Cola. :)

I just meant other things like those lol I totally agree with you on the advertising gimmicks bit but it was still nice to see it in general as in this modern world it has become pretty much a symbol of Christmas (coca cola truck).

I know about the church and religious offerings at this time of year but I feel it wouldn't be right to attend these due to me being....a puff lol.

I still respect what Christmas is but don't really go to church to be honest with you.

I just meant other things like those lol I totally agree with you on the advertising gimmicks bit but it was still nice to see it in general as in this modern world it has become pretty much a symbol of Christmas (coca cola truck).
Our whole life is governed by capitalist consumerism though, it is the foundation that our civilised society is built on. So I suppose the Coca-Cola truck is like a symbol of our modern lives.

Brands have now replaced churches as the beacons of western society. Instead of wearing crosses, we display brand logos (Apple comes especially to mind, or various clothing brands).

I used to think it was a bad thing, but then if you look at societies that aren't capitalist/consumerist, they tend to be hotbeds of oppression and/or civil conflict. So I don't really know what to think anymore!

Our whole life is governed by capitalist consumerism though, it is the foundation that our civilised society is built on. So I suppose the Coca-Cola truck is like a symbol of our modern lives.

My life is not governed by that. It is very easy to get out of those anxiety depression feeding mechanisms.