Current rumours and other baseless tosh on facebook

I joined Facebook recently, mainly to keep in touch with family abroad. Some things I've noticed before (wifey is a long time user of FB) but never realised were so rife until I joined...

1. What on earth is with all the selfie people? So many photos, mostly all pulling the same ridiculous face (grossly overextended pouts and either hyper-raised eyebrows or sultry squint). Fair enough, a couple of these shots might be a bit of fun but it seems many peoples' pages are full of tens or hundreds of what is essentially the same photo.

2. 'Inspirational' quotes/pictures/posts, often complete cobblers. I find the worst ones to be those recommending people not to worry about tomorrow or think about the past, just live for today.

3. Chain letters/reposts, the ones that begin or end with "if you really love (insert person or cause here) then you'll share this on your page". Practically emotionally blackmailing you into sharing them. Some of these also fall into the next category...

4. There's so many rumours, gossip and bullshoe stories/articles. It saddens me a little, how so many people are ready to accept and perpetuate these things without a rational thought crossing their minds.

Examples I've noticed over the last few days include

- a lot of people outraged that we have to call Christmas things like "Winterval/winter festival/holiday season/etc.", which is obviously cobblers.

- anecdotes/urban myths (including a dog slain by it's owners after mistakenly thinking it attacked their baby when it had saved the baby instead) that have been told and retold in many variations over the years

- in light of several recent, verysad and tragic deaths, some people have somehow linked this with the notion that "Sheffield streets aren't safe/there's some sick people about/I'm scared to leave the house these days", when there's evidence of any such foul play.

I realise this will be nothing new to many of you. I also invite you to share any bullshoe-sized gossip or rumours doing the rounds on Facebook, in this thread for it to be thoroughly ridiculed and dismissed.

Edited by RootsBooster

Number 4 drives me crazy. Hoaxes, right wing stories especially around immigration.

I'd also like to add to the list 'Share if you care' postings, or 'see how many likes we can get for this abandonded puppy', 'Santa supports our troops, pass it forward'. (just noticed that's number 3)

Number 4 drives me crazy. Hoaxes, right wing stories especially around immigration.

I'd also like to add to the list 'Share if you care' postings, or 'see how many likes we can get for this abandonded puppy', 'Santa supports our troops, pass it forward'. (just noticed that's number 3)

I think that comes under category 3

(just noticed you just noticed it!)

---------- Post added 15-12-2015 at 12:05 ----------

Unfriend all these people. Problem solved!

It's not my friends (I have few on FB) but you become aware of this stuff through other people sharing with them and such.

I think that comes under category 3

(just noticed you just noticed it!)

---------- Post added 15-12-2015 at 12:05 ----------

It's not my friends (I have few on FB) but you become aware of this stuff through other people sharing with them and such.

:)

One the wierdest ones I ever saw was an obviously doctored photo of two young girls smiling on a beach, both missing an arm and a leg. Even the people in the background were missing limbs. It came with the message 'Don't scroll down without typing Amen'. Its like people are on auto pilot,

Amen, Amen, Amen, the odd person pointing out the obvious photoshop work., Amen, Amen, Amen.

I joined Facebook recently, mainly to keep in touch with family abroad. Some things I've noticed before (wifey is a long time user of FB) but never realised were so rife until I joined...

1. What on earth is with all the selfie people? So many photos, mostly all pulling the same ridiculous face (grossly overextended pouts and either hyper-raised eyebrows or sultry squint). Fair enough, a couple of these shots might be a bit of fun but it seems many peoples' pages are full of tens or hundreds of what is essentially the same photo.

2. 'Inspirational' quotes/pictures/posts, often complete cobblers. I find the worst ones to be those recommending people not to worry about tomorrow or think about the past, just live for today.

3. Chain letters/reposts, the ones that begin or end with "if you really love (insert person or cause here) then you'll share this on your page". Practically emotionally blackmailing you into sharing them. Some of these also fall into the next category...

4. There's so many rumours, gossip and bullshoe stories/articles. It saddens me a little, how so many people are ready to accept and perpetuate these things without a rational thought crossing there minds.

- a lot of people outraged that we have to call Christmas things like "Winterval/winter festival/holiday season/etc.", which is obviously cobblers.

- anecdotes/urban myths (including a dog slain by it's owners after mistakenly thinking it attacked their baby when it had saved the baby instead) that have been told and retold in many variations over the years

- in light of several recent, verysad and tragic deaths, some people have somehow linked this with the notion that "Sheffield streets aren't safe/there's some sick people about/I'm scared to leave the house these days", when there's evidence of any such foul play.

I realise this will be nothing new to many of you. I also invite you to share any bullshoe-sized gossip or rumours doing the rounds on Facebook, in this thread for it to be thoroughly ridiculed and dismissed.

It's entirely dependant on who your friends are.

Don't be friends with people who share rubbish, or change the settings so that posts they make don't show up on your feed.

---------- Post added 15-12-2015 at 12:15 ----------

Left and right wing crap from Britain first and another angry voice, these pages need shutting down

Simply unfriend anyone who shares Britain First posts (maybe 1 warning if you care).

Block the pages and people that your friends keep sharing that are total cobblers. A few days of that (post of the rubbish that is shared is from about 70 people/pages IME) and it becomes a nice place. I'd rather do that than unfollow friends/family.

4. There's so many rumours, gossip and bullshoe stories/articles. It saddens me a little, how so many people are ready to accept and perpetuate these things without a rational thought crossing there minds.

I stopped using Faceache due to the points you've made above … the majority of it just being puerile drivel (family included).

'Here's a lovely cute pic of our precious (precocious) new little beautiful baby swallowing a toy octopus'

'Ah, what a sweetie, pic'll go viral! You're such lucky lovely parents. Hope he didn't choke on the octopus! Luvs ya babe!'

That sort of mindless crap (can I say that on here?). Zuckerberg has a lot to answer for if you ask me.