Current rumours and other baseless tosh on facebook

Is it irony that someone who appears to be barely computer literate thinks they know a lot about how social media is used and by whom?

That's a bit harsh...He didn't say or imply he was computer illiterate...Just thought the chrome book was particularly difficult.

You don't have to be a computer expert to read reports about social media issues....

Is it irony that someone who appears to be barely computer literate thinks they know a lot about how social media is used and by whom?

You like having a dig don't you matey. For your information. I taught for years using: on -line and e- learning- you know with the aid of computers. Correction, "It's is ironic that someone.....". Get it right.

Spending years, watching teenagers :learning and evolving, in a culture drenched in social networking. Puts me in a rather special position for drawing conclusions ,from the endeavours of the young who try to make friends, via social media . Some commentators have proposed, that social media doesn't bring people closer together, but pushes them further apart.

It has also been put forward by some educationalists, that the overuse of social media contributes to the user's social ineptitude in real life encounters (mainly observed in young people).

Edited by petemcewan

Correction, "It's is ironic that someone.....". Get it right.
Did you just fall foul of Muphry's law?

Spending years, watching teenagers :learning and evolving, in a culture drenched in social networking. Puts me in a rather special position for drawing conclusions ,from the endeavours of the young who try to make friends, via social media . Some commentators have proposed, that social media doesn't bring people closer together, but pushes them further apart.

It has also been put forward by some educationalists, that the overuse of social media contributes to the user's social ineptitude in real life encounters (mainly observed in young people).

Yeah, you're still only talking about a small section of a section of society. That's hardly a concrete case for Facebook friends not being real friends :roll:

You like having a dig don't you matey. For your information. I taught for years using: on -line and e- learning- you know with the aid of computers. Correction, "It's is ironic that someone.....". Get it right.

The grammar was correct thanks, but nice try.

It's correct to ask if it is irony, or if it was ironic.

Spending years, watching teenagers :learning and evolving, in a culture drenched in social networking. Puts me in a rather special position for drawing conclusions

Yes, a position of limited anecdotal observation of a self selecting and restricted cohort, who you could only observe for a restricted time of the day, in a particular setting.

Perhaps when you were making statements about social media use earlier you should have qualified "amongst the teens that I have observed", instead of assuming that all other people behave the same way.

Do you think that adults also smoke behind the bike shed, buy the cheapest booze they can from the only shop that will serve them and hang out with their friends on the street all evening complaining that they have nothing to do?

The grammar was correct thanks, but nice try.

It's correct to ask if it is irony, or if it was ironic.

Yes, a position of limited anecdotal observation of a self selecting and restricted cohort, who you could only observe for a restricted time of the day, in a particular setting.

Perhaps when you were making statements about social media use earlier you should have qualified "amongst the teens that I have observed", instead of assuming that all other people behave the same way.

Do you think that adults also smoke behind the bike shed, buy the cheapest booze they can from the only shop that will serve them and hang out with their friends on the street all evening complaining that they have nothing to do?

This sent from the bar in the Tan Hill Pub. I'm spending a few days in the highest

pub in Britain,with friends I've known for 30 yrs. We refer to each other as "colleague". It's an old joke amongst teachers. Now in typical teacher fashion ,we are going mark your work.

After passing round the Chrome and reading the last few posts from: you , me and rootbooster we have reached a consensus . If ,"it is ironic", is substituted for ,"Is it irony". Then the sarcasm of your comment is fully conveyed, in a more concise way.

Next thing (for Rootbooster). It is not unusual to take a small population and then extrapolate to a larger community. And as teenager constitute quite a large percentage on Facebook.The study of the behaviour of this cohort, can prove insightful. It saves time and effort, that would have to be expended in studying the whole population .

Cyclone. It's a poor opinion you have of the younger generation. Seventy seven percent of teenagers on line are on Facebook -at a time presumably, when they are not stoned behind the bike shed or drunk outside the offy (LOL).

Rootbooster. As you finished your post with something akin to ,christmas cracker mottos and ancient Yorkshire proverbs. I'll reciprocate .

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana ".

"When truth goes out the door rumour come innuendo " Groucho Marxs.

I concede. Your friends on Facebook are real friends.

I'm off now to get my "colleagues", to prove that they love me and buy the next round.

Down it goes.

Edited by petemcewan

Did they mark your inappropriate use of that apostrophe as well?

Didn't that make you feel like you should stick to the point, rather than try to score cheap points about grammar?

Are there any friends who couldn't make it this year? If so, take a group shot, put it on facebook (privately of course) and tag them, so that they take a look. They'll feel like you were thinking about them (because you were).

And then create an event on facebook for next year, invite them, they can clear their diary early.

---------- Post added 18-01-2016 at 08:47 ----------

Next thing (for Rootbooster). It is not unusual to take a small population and then extrapolate to a larger community.

It is unusual if you want any validity to the study you're performing.

(And anecdotal observation does not make a study).

And as teenager constitute quite a large percentage on Facebook.The study of the behaviour of this cohort, can prove insightful. It saves time and effort, that would have to be expended in studying the whole population .

No, it doesn't save time and effort, it invalidates the effort spent.

Next thing (for Rootbooster). It is not unusual to take a small population and then extrapolate to a larger community. And as teenager constitute quite a large percentage on Facebook.The study of the behaviour of this cohort, can prove insightful. It saves time and effort, that would have to be expended in studying the whole population .

You're not just taking a small population, you're taking a small portion of a small population and trying to apply the anecdotal results to the masses. It's like conducting a survey about faith in a largely Muslim area and then extrapolating the results to the wider population.

How many teens have you actually studdied in depth, reading exactly what they were typing online? When were you actually doing it?

You'll have to forgive me if I don't put my full trust in your methods

Rootbooster. As you finished your post with something akin to ,christmas cracker mottos and ancient Yorkshire proverbs. I'll reciprocate .

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana ".

"When truth goes out the door rumour come innuendo " Groucho Marxs.

I concede. Your friends on Facebook are real friends.

I'm off now to get my "colleagues", to prove that they love me and buy the next round.

Down it goes.

What on Earth are you talking about?

Cracker mottos? Ancient Yorkshire proverbs?

This is how I finished my post:

Yeah, you're still only talking about a small section of a section of society. That's hardly a concrete case for Facebook friends not being real friends :roll:

Which part of that sounds like a motto or proverb? :suspect:

• 2 weeks later...