Current rumours and other baseless tosh on facebook

I think that you completely misunderstood my post. I wasn't asking for you to put photos of your daughter on Facebook. :huh:

How do you deal with people looking at your daughter when she's in public?

I think you're misunderstanding my post! I can't control what happens with peoples eyes when I'm out and about but I can control what goes on the internet!! do you not get that??

My issue is that photo's can be downloaded and used.. I don't know who or what is looking at my photo's from behind a computer screen etc.

Example - a very good friend of mine posted a picture of her little boy playing in rivelin park, she took the photo herself and posted it to her own timeline... a few months go by and she's looking at some link to another page and she spots the picture of her son being used as a poster for a nursery somewhere in Scotland!!! She never gave permission for this picture to be used but when she reported it she was told by posting pictures to public profiles such as facebook you are automatically giving permission for your pics to be used... I'm not comfortable with that but each to their own!

Another slice of Facebook madness (in my opinion) is people who tell everyone they can't wait 'til they set off on their holidays this weekend (very likely leaving the house empty), then go on to keep reminding everyone that the house is unoccupied by posting holiday snaps daily.

If their broadband was disconnected would they put a sign outside informing everyone that they're going away?

I think you're misunderstanding my post! I can't control what happens with peoples eyes when I'm out and about but I can control what goes on the internet!! do you not get that??

My issue is that photo's can be downloaded and used.. I don't know who or what is looking at my photo's from behind a computer screen etc.

Example - a very good friend of mine posted a picture of her little boy playing in rivelin park, she took the photo herself and posted it to her own timeline... a few months go by and she's looking at some link to another page and she spots the picture of her son being used as a poster for a nursery somewhere in Scotland!!! She never gave permission for this picture to be used but when she reported it she was told by posting pictures to public profiles such as facebook you are automatically giving permission for your pics to be used... I'm not comfortable with that but each to their own!

What's to stop people taking a photo of your daughter in public and doing exactly the same thing?

I joined Facebook recently, mainly to keep in touch with family abroad. Some things I've noticed before (wifey is a long time user of FB) but never realised were so rife until I joined...

1. What on earth is with all the selfie people? So many photos, mostly all pulling the same ridiculous face (grossly overextended pouts and either hyper-raised eyebrows or sultry squint). Fair enough, a couple of these shots might be a bit of fun but it seems many peoples' pages are full of tens or hundreds of what is essentially the same photo.

2. 'Inspirational' quotes/pictures/posts, often complete cobblers. I find the worst ones to be those recommending people not to worry about tomorrow or think about the past, just live for today.

3. Chain letters/reposts, the ones that begin or end with "if you really love (insert person or cause here) then you'll share this on your page". Practically emotionally blackmailing you into sharing them. Some of these also fall into the next category...

4. There's so many rumours, gossip and bullshoe stories/articles. It saddens me a little, how so many people are ready to accept and perpetuate these things without a rational thought crossing there minds.

Examples I've noticed over the last few days include

- a lot of people outraged that we have to call Christmas things like "Winterval/winter festival/holiday season/etc.", which is obviously cobblers.

- anecdotes/urban myths (including a dog slain by it's owners after mistakenly thinking it attacked their baby when it had saved the baby instead) that have been told and retold in many variations over the years

- in light of several recent, verysad and tragic deaths, some people have somehow linked this with the notion that "Sheffield streets aren't safe/there's some sick people about/I'm scared to leave the house these days", when there's evidence of any such foul play.

'Unfollowing people' is now an option and I have that on everyone.