Current rumours and other baseless tosh on facebook

Don't go on it. It's a 21st Century portal to hell. People would be better off cultivating some real friends. Getting out more and developing the interpersonal skills necessary for genuine social interaction.

Go out in the street and shake a person's hand -and see how long it takes to get arrested. We laugh!!

.....what ?

I haven't any friends.

If I join Facebook will I get any?

Anyone else in SF not on FC or have a twitter account?

Do you care?

What does hashtag mean?

Where is it on my apple keyboard?

What am I missing?

Should I care?

Me too

Not on Facebook or twitter or Instagram or God knows what else - I use LinkedIn as a work tool occasionally but God it is annoying sometimes

As I think someone else posted, it isn't the site that is the problem, it is the people that use it, but that applies to the real world as well - and the solution is the same - just avoid people and places who annoy you

And no, you shouldn't care - although I'm not sure why the reference to an "apple" keyboard

Don't go on it. It's a 21st Century portal to hell. People would be better off cultivating some real friends. Getting out more and developing the interpersonal skills necessary for genuine social interaction.

Go out in the street and shake a person's hand -and see how long it takes to get arrested. We laugh!!

What an intelligent post.! Actually it's not until you become a member of Facebook that you realise how interesting the Sheffield Forum is. I've just come back to it after being on FB for some years.:)

I think you've taken my extreme and unlikely example of what could happen and assumed that's what I think is likely to happen.

So despite your earlier comments, you accept that appropriate use of the privacy settings effectively mitigates the risk of advertising your holiday then.

---------- Post added 17-12-2015 at 09:06 ----------

Another slice of Facebook madness (in my opinion) is people who tell everyone they can't wait 'til they set off on their holidays this weekend (very likely leaving the house empty), then go on to keep reminding everyone that the house is unoccupied by posting holiday snaps daily.

If their broadband was disconnected would they put a sign outside informing everyone that they're going away?

Just to remind you, this was your comment.

---------- Post added 17-12-2015 at 09:07 ----------

Yeah, again, I don't understand this sentiment.

I don't expect my friends to rob me. They know I'm away anyway.

Nobody except friends can see my profile or status updates.

Learn to use the tool appropriately, don't blame the tool if you advertise your holiday to the general public.

And my reply.

After which you invented a convoluted scenario whereby some burgling friend of a friend might discover that you're on holiday and your address...

---------- Post added 17-12-2015 at 09:08 ----------

It would seem not having a FB account was a wise choice. Like the OP I also have relatives abroad, I also have their phone numbers and email addresses which I use without being the victim of FB Current rumours and other baseless tosh background noise..

You've really no idea how much more in touch you'd be through using it though, since you've not even tried it.

So despite your earlier comments, you accept that appropriate use of the privacy settings effectively mitigates the risk of advertising your holiday then.

---------- Post added 17-12-2015 at 09:06 ----------

---------- Post added 17-12-2015 at 09:07 ----------

And my reply.

After which you invented a convoluted scenario whereby some burgling friend of a friend might discover that you're on holiday and your address...

---------- Post added 17-12-2015 at 09:08 ----------

You've really no idea how much more in touch you'd be through using it though, since you've not even tried it.

He ain't missing much !

Of course it does, I never claimed otherwise :suspect:

Just to remind you, this was my comment...

Another slice of Facebook madness (in my opinion) is people who tell everyone they can't wait 'til they set off on their holidays this weekend (very likely leaving the house empty), then go on to keep reminding everyone that the house is unoccupied by posting holiday snaps daily.

If their broadband was disconnected would they put a sign outside informing everyone that they're going away?

And my reply.

Which began with this...

The thing is, even then, you can't guarantee that it's only your friends seeing it, you can only guarantee that it's their accounts that receive it.

In rare and unlikely circumstances it only takes a nosey visitor (a son's/daughter's friend or partner) to use your friend's computer or simply look at it when it's unattended to gain such information.

It was, as explained, simply to demonstrate that if people with privacy settings are still at some risk then people who openly tell the world their every daily detail and location put themselves at much more risk.

It may have seemed convoluted to you but it was merely a case of the criminal being in the right place at the right time (for him) which is how many crimes take place.

EDIT:

a quickle Google shows there's much more that can be gained from Facebook by criminals..

http://www.komando.com/tips/12469/4-ways-burglars-use-social-media-to-target-you/all

Edited by RootsBooster

How much more in touch do I need to be when I have the ability to get in touch directly without the clutter of background noise.

It seems a bit like walking into a pub full of relative strangers and shouting..'it's a boy!'

How much more in touch do I need to be when I have the ability to get in touch directly without the clutter of background noise.

It seems a bit like walking into a pub full of relative strangers and shouting..'it's a boy!'

Firstly, you don't seem to understand how facebook actually works.

Secondly, you'll never know unless you try it will you.