Vauxhall Astra Issue

Hi all, I have an issue with my 2006 Astra sxi 1.7 tdi.

It has happened twice now both on exactly the same steep hill.

It is a national speed limit road and when going up the hill the engine management light has come on and I have lost power at the top end of the gears. The car works but it's as if the turbo is not kicking in.

If I turn the engine off and back on it sorts it out.

A local garage serviced it recently and I mentioned it to them so they plugged it into the fault reader but it didn't pick anything up.

Any ideas?

Thanks

MAF sensor would be my guess initially..... Up a steep hill the engine is under a lot of load so its trying to pull in air at a greater rate but going slower so less neutral airflow... basically its say sod this and giving up...... Sounds like it needs some help.... new MAF... New Air Filter.... Basically help it breath better.

It has gone into limp mode. My car although not Vauxhall kept doing it. Same hill same distance from home.

If you are in the AA or RAC keep the engine running in limp mode and call them out. They might be able to pick it up on diagnostics while it is still running. Didn't work on mine though it had to go to the main dealer at £35 for a diagnostics check. They found it, it was a crankshaft sensor. But it could be anything. There is loads of sensors limp mode covers.

My mate had a similar problem on his car and it turned out to be a blocked fuel filter......

Always worth considering, I had this on a Mk 3 Astra DTi but it couldn't go into limp mode as it was an earlier model. It would travel along ok on the flat, but begin to "die" up the hills or when the accelerator pedal was pressed.

If you are in the AA or RAC keep the engine running in limp mode and call them out. They might be able to pick it up on diagnostics while it is still running. Didn't work on mine though it had to go to the main dealer at £35 for a diagnostics check. They found it, it was a crankshaft sensor. But it could be anything. There is loads of sensors limp mode covers.

That's the problem with generic scan-anything readers, they often fail to pick up faults or misdiagnose.

I work with several garages in my area to do specific Peugeot Citroen diagnostics for them when their equipment doesn't produce the results, its cheaper for them to call me (and bill the customer for "advanced diagnostics") than have them invest in lots of specific diagnostic equipment for each marque, which might not get used often.