Submarine in the River Don

smithy266

Years ago, I heard this tale, a shaggy dog story about a submarine in the Don, bau have never seen it written down.

Has anyone else heard it, or better still, can send me a copy?

Edit.....

I don't know why this was moved to here, it was a question originally about a shaggy dog joke story, not a historical fact in any way!

Edited by smithy266

Years ago, I heard this tale, a shaggy dog story about a submarine in the Don, bau have never seen it written down.

Has anyone else heard it, or better still, can send me a copy?

SCC pest control/Police (but not shaggy dogs) often use submarines in the Don at Hillsborough to crack down on crimes committed by the Tree Penguins, as well as recovering valuable underwater caches of stolen Licorice Allsorts, which, to the Tree Penguins, are the equivalent of Bitcoins.

Although I have no pictures on hand, I'm sure I could probably rustle one up having searched through my archives. :)

The Admiral Graf Spee was famously sunk just off Oughtibridge. They changed the location to South America in the movie for tax reasons.

Not forgetting the nuclear powered submarine, HMS Ambush (photo taken of it going for fuel at Morrison's, taken through the letterbox of a black door) which was launched from the submersible shipyard just behind Bassets in 2012. Apparently, such is the technology, that it can traverse the entire length of the river Don without once having to come up for air! :o

It was Doug McClure looking for the Land that Time Forgot.

He thought Caprona might be somewhere east of Barnsley.

Easy mistake to make.

Interesting … I always thought that Rice Burroughs based Caprona on slightly tidied up version of Parson Cross. The Parsonians themselves giving him the idea for the Sto-lu (missing links) and the Bo-lu (Neanderthals) in the above mentioned 'The land that time forgot'. :huh:

Just goes to show that you can't always trust Wiki.

Interesting … I always thought that Rice Burroughs based Caprona on slightly tidied up version of Parson Cross. The Parsonians themselves giving him the idea for the Sto-lu (missing links) and the Bo-lu (Neanderthals) in the above mentioned 'The land that time forgot'. :huh:

Just goes to show that you can't always trust Wiki.

Surely the tribes of Cossacks roaming the tracks of Attercliffe Common would have put a stop to any such activity on the Don. These tribes were so powerful they had the book "Quiet flows the Don written about them" ,and even a city centre pub was named after them.