Submarine in the River Don

smithy266

Not forgetting the nuclear powered submarine, HMS Ambush (photo taken of it going for fuel at Morrison's, taken through the letterbox of a black door) which was launched from the submersible shipyard just behind Bassets in 2012. Apparently, such is the technology, that it can traverse the entire length of the river Don without once having to come up for air! :o

Back in my Don angling days I used to wonder why I would often hear that old reggae/pop song-'Red Red Wine,' but I could never pinpoint it's origin:huh: All making sense now....UBoat 40.:P

Back in my Don angling days I used to wonder why I would often hear that old reggae/pop song-'Red Red Wine,' but I could never pinpoint it's origin:huh: All making sense now....UBoat 40.:P

Jeez! are you that old or did you buy some kind of re-release many years later? :P

Anyway, what silly person has seen fit to move this thread into 'Sheffield History& Expats'?! … even the thread opener was somewhat apocryphal. :hihi::loopy:

It was a U-boat; the details have only recently been made public under the 73-year rule. The infamous U-boat commander Kapitänleutnant Fischpoacher had heard that there was some good angling to be had at Salmon Pastures. Unfortunately their intelligence was out of date and the entire catch amounted to two old boots, a set of pram wheels and an iron bedstead. All the same, with wartime shortages in the Vaterland they decided to take their loot back to Kiel. But thanks to the local boy scouts, word reached the Aldwarke Militia that Germans had invaded. They called out the Kilnhurst underwater warfare detachment, who promptly sank the U-boat with a suet dumpling depth charge. The crew were captured and after being told "For you ze var is over" they were taken to Lodge Moor Camp for interrogation. ;)

Jeez! are you that old or did you buy some kind of re-release many years later? :P

Anyway, what silly person has seen fit to move this thread into 'Sheffield History& Expats'?! … even the thread opener was somewhat apocryphal. :hihi::loopy:

Ushered into a quiet corner of SF, where we can't bother anybody.:D

---------- Post added 16-12-2015 at 20:58 ----------

It was a U-boat; the details have only recently been made public under the 73-year rule. The infamous U-boat commander Kapitänleutnant Fischpoacher had heard that there was some good angling to be had at Salmon Pastures. Unfortunately their intelligence was out of date and the entire catch amounted to two old boots, a set of pram wheels and an iron bedstead. All the same, with wartime shortages in the Vaterland they decided to take their loot back to Kiel. But thanks to the local boy scouts, word reached the Aldwarke Militia that Germans had invaded. They called out the Kilnhurst underwater warfare detachment, who promptly sank the U-boat with a suet dumpling depth charge. The crew were captured and after being told "For you ze var is over" they were taken to Lodge Moor Camp for interrogation. ;)

No Hillsbro... This in fact was our most advanced Sub. The Boots belonged to the crewman.

Fortunately for us, the Germans didn't realise exactly what the iron bedstead was. It was of course (before it stopped flying) the experimental

of flying bedstead fame, built at the experminetal aircraft facility behind Hillsbourough's Poundland, and expertly crashed into the river Don before the Nazis could get their händes on it.

Some years later, salvaged parts of the very same bedstead teamed up with some broomsticks to star in the most seminal film of the genre (until Potter).

I quite like this Sheffield History part of the forum … I may come here more often. :)

...built at the experminetal aircraft facility behind Hillsbourough's Poundland...
Ah - I wondered what the blue plaque was behind the Barracks. Something about the original purpose of the flying bedsteads being to drop mines on the Möhne, Eder and Sorpe dams, but then Barnes Wallis came up with his ‘bouncing bomb’ idea. I understand that Reichsmarschall Göring never forgave Fischpoacher for not realising what a prize he let slip from his grasp. He was so afraid of retribution from the Luftwaffe "old guard" that he didn't return to Germany after the war. After assuming a new identity he became a sausage maker for Sutherlands at Handsworth, at the same time playing the fartophone in an oompah band.

Fortunately for us, the Germans didn't realise exactly what the iron bedstead was. It was of course (before it stopped flying) the experimental
of flying bedstead fame, built at the experminetal aircraft facility behind Hillsbourough's Poundland, and expertly crashed into the river Don before the Nazis could get their händes on it.

Some years later, salvaged parts of the very same bedstead teamed up with some broomsticks to star in the most seminal film of the genre (until Potter).

I quite like this Sheffield History part of the forum … I may come here more often. :)

Oh dear!.................