Submarine in the River Don

smithy266

I feel this subject is being taken far too lightly.

There was a serious attempt to attack munitions factories sited by the Don by a U Boat in 1942. The boat was commanded by a rebel Englishman Wolf Higginbottom (Knight Order of the Iron Cross 2nd class)

Higginbottom, a committed Nazi and well known Morris Dancer had shown his commitment to the German cause by exchanging his name with that of his submarine.

It became the Sea Wilf.

That must be the Wolf Higginbottom who got his just desserts in November 1942 during his third sortie up the Don. The Barnby Dun Morris Men never forgave his treachery and they lay in wait for the Sea Wilf, destroying it with depth charges cunningly disguised as Yorkshire puddings.

Years ago, I heard this tale, a shaggy dog story about a submarine in the Don, bau have never seen it written down.

Has anyone else heard it, or better still, can send me a copy?

Edit.....

I don't know why this was moved to here, it was a question originally about a shaggy dog joke story, not a historical fact in any way!

:huh:

I think "I'm Bored" was fully booked for Christmas and the forum Christmas party had to find alternative accommodation!

Anyway, just popped in to say I'm loving this thread and the contributions of a few that I've not met before on the silly not entirely factual threads in the other room.

I'm learning lots of useless fascinating facts that will no doubt help me in the Christmas pub quiz!

History was never this much fun at school... :D

Oh okay … I was going to leave this thread alone as I have some respect for Sheffield history and suchlike. Bear in mind though, this thread was put here somewhat erroneously by an over zealous mod, having started off elsewhere, so, basically … it's their fault. (I'm sure Mr.McWoods would agree with this too)

Anyway, may I draw your attention now to 'The Hillsborough Experiment', conducted in 1942 at the Hillsborough Naval Shipyards (HNS) just behind the old Fletchers bakery.

It was an ill fated day, that sunny afternoon of July 24th as a top secret experiment was made to create an invisibility cloak around Hillsborough's finest battleship … HMS Scrivendore.

Without going into too much technical detail, using two state of the art Perkins diesel engines to create electromagnetic flux (by virtue of a trans-mutonic transponder), it was thought that light photons could be bent around the ship to give the appearance of 'not there'.

The result was more than anyone could expect … the ship not only became invisible … it moved through space and time! Oh dear! :o

Obviously, there was a massive cover-up … not only had the ship vanished, but one of the Perkins'd blown a cylinder head gasket too, and they're not cheap to fix by any means. Things went quiet, and over the next year it was thought to have been totally hushed up and forgotten about.

Until …

HMS Scrivendore suddenly appears one year later in 1943, right out of thin air, bang in the middle of Philadelphia Naval shipyard in, er, Philadelphia.

Of course, when the US navy phoned up Sheffield Council to ask them to come and remove it, they'd have nothing to do with it, claiming total ignorance (not uncommon to this day).

As such, the US Navy was left with no option but to rename it, and, considering it already was loaded with experimental stuff (a magnet and the like), use it for their own 'cloaking' experiments.

These experiments didn't go very well either, firstly because the USS Eldridge (as it was now known) vanished too, but also that the Klingons stole the cloaking technology for their space battleships, later, selling it to Harry Potter. :o

The whole episode was also covered up to avoid embarrassment, so unfortunately, little is known of that either … certainly, there's no written documentation.

---------- Post added 17-12-2015 at 12:33 ----------

:huh:

I think "I'm Bored" was fully booked for Christmas and the forum Christmas party had to find alternative accommodation!

Anyway, just popped in to say I'm loving this thread and the contributions of a few that I've not met before on the silly not entirely factual threads in the other room.

I'm learning lots of useless fascinating facts that will no doubt help me in the Christmas pub quiz!

History was never this much fun at school... :D

I agree Mr Bloke … there're some very nice (and clever) people in this bit of the forum. I may make this my default page from now on. :)

I feel this subject is being taken far too lightly.

There was a serious attempt to attack munitions factories sited by the Don by a U Boat in 1942. The boat was commanded by a rebel Englishman Wolf Higginbottom (Knight Order of the Iron Cross 2nd class)

Higginbottom, a committed Nazi and well known Morris Dancer had shown his commitment to the German cause by exchanging his name with that of his submarine.

It became the Sea Wilf.

I remember my grand farther telling me about this incident the u boat was accompanied by the Bismarck which could not get under the bridge at oughtibridge so it had to turn round and go back it was then when it was picked up and followed by the Hood

I remember my grand farther telling me about this incident the u boat was accompanied by the Bismarck which could not get under the bridge at oughtibridge so it had to turn round and go back it was then when it was picked up and followed by the Hood

Oooh, you live and learn! :o

So, what you're saying is that the Tracy's of Thunderbird's fame are involved in the Don submarine events? Perhaps in Thunderbird 4?

You can bet that wherever Scott, Viirgil and the like go, The Hood is bound to follow. Nasty man!

You all may joke about the submarine,but I can tell you it was a fact.

I was dropped off on the banks of the Don in 1940 to set up a liaison with my contact to pass on information about the manufacturing of war materials.

My contact never showed up.l am now 97 and bloody tired of waiting.

FRED FROM ATTERCLIFFE WHER ARE YOU???

Code name " ****enhause"

Edited by sweetdexter

You all may joke about the submarine,but I can tell you it was a fact.

I was dropped off on the banks of the Don in 1940 to set up a liaison with my contact to pass on information about the manufacturing of war materials.

My contact never showed up.l am now 97 and bloody tired of waiting.

FRED FROM ATTERCLIFFE WHER ARE YOU???

Code name " ****enhause"

Was that you standing there with the water lillies growing from your ears?

That must be the Wolf Higginbottom who got his just desserts in November 1942 during his third sortie up the Don. The Barnby Dun Morris Men never forgave his treachery and they lay in wait for the Sea Wilf, destroying it with depth charges cunningly disguised as Yorkshire puddings.

You need to be careful or you might be accused of helping a member of the forces to desert!