Submarine in the River Don

smithy266

You all may joke about the submarine,but I can tell you it was a fact.

I was dropped off on the banks of the Don in 1940 to set up a liaison with my contact to pass on information about the manufacturing of war materials.

My contact never showed up.l am now 97 and bloody tired of waiting.

FRED FROM ATTERCLIFFE WHER ARE YOU???

Code name " ****enhause"

I know some people are skeptical but have failed to realize that these posts have been correctly placed in the History section of the Forum.

My grandfather Fred was born in Attercliffe in the 1870's and was away in the Army in 1916 when the German zeppelin bombed and destroyed Christ Church in Attercliffe that year. What did not appear in public reports was an alleged sighting of a 'boat' being dropped into the River Don at Salmon Pastures; obviously to avoid the spreading of alarm and despondency.

Sadly my grandfather Fred died in 1937 before WW2 started which may account for sweetdexters long wait, though I've absolutely no reason or evidence that he could in any way have been involved in espionage..... he was a 'Wednesdayite'!

Most of this can be verified as historical fact:wink:

The Mods have done a good job hiding this thread as they will remember that this whole subject was subject to a D notice ordered by the the then Prime Minister and issued by his mate the press baron Lord Porterbrook of Endcliffe.

It appears that Barnes Wallis needed somewhere to test his bouncing bombs so he was allowed to send a Lancaster bomber (this was the code name for what was originally the Yorkshire bomber) up the canal from Tinsley. The bomb which should have been a dummy was mistakenly replaced a a real one. Upon launcing just after Bacon Lane bridge it skipped it's way along the canal, through the warehouses at the end and blew up the rear of the Corn Exchange. This was concealed from the public and was subject to an insurance scam in the 60's when the place was burnt down.

Meanwhile the Axis powers sent over a minature submarine to investigate which mistakenly turned up the Don.

The D notice explains why you will never read about this episode, and is it is still in force you will appreciate that if caught I may be locked up. (Possibly for my own safety)

I remember my grand farther telling me about this incident the u boat was accompanied by the Bismarck which could not get under the bridge at oughtibridge so it had to turn round and go back it was then when it was picked up and followed by the Hood

This is correct, in order to speed its escape it was decided to fire all the guns thereby lightening the load. Over 1000 rounds of high velocity shells hit Rotherham.

This caused nearly £5 damage.

I remember my grand farther telling me about this incident the u boat was accompanied by the Bismarck which could not get under the bridge at oughtibridge so it had to turn round and go back it was then when it was picked up and followed by the Hood

Well more fool the Hood, as she was sunk by the Bismarck, she should have stayed in the Don watching out for subs.:roll: