Misselling at Currys retail stores

my neighbors (pensioners) have just been missold a couple of items after buying a television ,.they were told they needed a sound box so as to hear the sound (wrong it may add to the quality)and also they were told that they needed gold plated leads costing £80--these were sold at Curry,s in Worksop

I myself was sold a set of back up discs costing £30 from Curry.s at Drakehouse (PC world)-when the computer already had them installed in the D section hard drive===I was told I would not be able to make these myself despite me doing this on previous laptops.

A lot of retailers were caught on several TV programs over selling HMDI leads costing up to £100 when a set at £3 would be OK

After the banks misselling of PPI--maybe taking on retailers over these items would hit them where it hurts mainly by not using rogue traders

By the way up to now Curry,s have refused to accept that anything is wrong despite 2 television engineers from their company have challenged this---an wont refund the money

I hate it when companies mis-sell to vulnerable people. It really really angers and upsets me.

I'd suggest the best thing for your neighbours to do is to simply return all the goods and ask for a refund. If Currys refuse, which seems unlikely as long as the goods are in saleable condition, then speak to a manager and prepare to get grumpy. If this approach still doesn't work then embrace the power of the internet, the Citizens Advice Bureau and Consumer Action Group.

There are lots and lots of stories online about Currys and most people would advise to stay well clear. Here is a similar example about a laptop:

Also, Currys state on their website that you can return items for up to 21 days if they unwanted with no reason needed as long as the items aren't opened:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/returns-cancellations-1043-theme.html

---------- Post added 16-12-2015 at 12:00 ----------

People really need to start doing research about products they want to buy before they go and buy them. It's sad that people cannot trust advice given to them by a lot of sales people, but as vast numbers of them are on commission they are just looking after themselves.

The place I would recommend for any AV equipment if the person isn't clued up on things is actually John Lewis. Staff are NOT on commission, know their stuff and are able to explain things to non-techies. The also give free extended warranty and contrary to popular belief are no more expensive on branded TVs and laptops than anywhere else.

my neighbors (pensioners) have just been missold a couple of items after buying a television ,.they were told they needed a sound box so as to hear the sound (wrong it may add to the quality)and also they were told that they needed gold plated leads costing £80--these were sold at Curry,s in Worksop
I can't remember the last time I popped in there for anything, and I've been living in Worksop 7 or 8 years.

That store is soul destroying and, from recollection, the last time I was in there (at least 4 or 5 years ago, needed a hoover in a rush) it reminded me of a marine tank with a few resident sharks swimming lazily around.

Seconding stgkate's re. John Lewis, and don't forget RicherSounds who are (IMHO) equally as good with unbiased advice and price-competitive.

If you do go to John Lewis and see a branded TV that you could buy slightly cheaper anywhere else, they'll price match it for you too!

I'd tell your neighbours to return the cables, complain that they were told they needed then, and buy a cheaper set elsewhere - Unless they can persuade the Curry's manager to let them have a cheap set for free, I'd try that first :hihi:

I have been looking for a tv for a while and saw one at Currys, the price changed 3 times in three days and has now changed again.

That's normal. Prices are no longer set by a person and stay the same for long periods. Sites like Amazon use algorithms to work out what is the best price for the item.

E.G: http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/LG-55EC930V-Smart-Curved-55-Inch/product/B00PK95X4E

The above TV has been as high as £1,609 and as low as £1,349 in the last month.

Strange as it may seem I was in Currys yesterday to buy a Gaming Mouse as they had the cheapest deal but had trouble finding the one I wanted. While I was waiting for an assistant I overheard an elderly customer being told "and while you are at the checkout make sure you ask for a 3 year extended guarantee."

Seems like they are still hard pushing that one.

Edited by apelike
spelling

I bought a t.v. from John Lewis only last week.The salesmen are very knowledgeable and never once tried to sell me any extras. Their t.vs.are price matched & free delivery as well.

If you have to see the TV first, go to John Lewis or Richer Sounds. By all means go to Currys to look at a tv, but I would always then go home and buy it from Amazon.

Edited by Berberis