Misselling at Currys retail stores

my neighbors (pensioners) have just been missold a couple of items after buying a television ,.they were told they needed a sound box so as to hear the sound (wrong it may add to the quality)and also they were told that they needed gold plated leads costing £80--these were sold at Curry,s in Worksop

I myself was sold a set of back up discs costing £30 from Curry.s at Drakehouse (PC world)-when the computer already had them installed in the D section hard drive===I was told I would not be able to make these myself despite me doing this on previous laptops.

A lot of retailers were caught on several TV programs over selling HMDI leads costing up to £100 when a set at £3 would be OK

After the banks misselling of PPI--maybe taking on retailers over these items would hit them where it hurts mainly by not using rogue traders

By the way up to now Curry,s have refused to accept that anything is wrong despite 2 television engineers from their company have challenged this---an wont refund the money

What is the point of your post? Is it a moan about Curry's or are you wanting advice?

What is their complaint?

What do your neighbours want to do? Have you asked them?

What have they tried to do so far and with what result?

You mention a refusal to refund?

You believe the goods are faulty?

When did they make the purchases?

How did they pay?

Have the items been unpackaged and used?

Ita because the staff are on comission for every sale and every extra they sell....

If it was sell and make money or sont sell and loose yr job, what would you do?

I think they stopped being on commission years ago and are now trained to offer expensive items and service contracts.

I honestly can't see Currys refusing a refund on accessory items bought with a television which have not been unpacked assuming it was a recent purchase . If these items have been used then no refund should be given unless they are faulty . There are always two sides to every story and there could easily been some genuine misunderstanding by the buyer .

Playing devil's advocate, were they miss-sold? The items they bought met their requirements, which is why Currys are refusing to take them back.

If they asked for a TV that did A and B, and they were sold one that did A, B, C and D, then that isn't misselling, that's the customer not understanding what they are buying. A grey area; it's wrong for the salesman to take advantage but it's equally wrong for the customer to not ask suitable questions about what they are buying.

'My wife and I are pensioners, and we struggle to hear the TV so need one that is loud and clear.'

'Ah, in that case you want a surround sound system and gold plated connectors to go with the TV'

However, if they asked for a TV that did A and B but were sold one that only did A, then it's clearly miss-sold.

Playing devil's advocate, were they miss-sold? The items they bought met their requirements, which is why Currys are refusing to take them back.

If they asked for a TV that did A and B, and they were sold one that did A, B, C and D, then that isn't misselling, that's the customer not understanding what they are buying. A grey area; it's wrong for the salesman to take advantage but it's equally wrong for the customer to not ask suitable questions about what they are buying.

'My wife and I are pensioners, and we struggle to hear the TV so need one that is loud and clear.'

'Ah, in that case you want a surround sound system and gold plated connectors to go with the TV'

However, if they asked for a TV that did A and B but were sold one that only did A, then it's clearly miss-sold.

The op stated that they were told that they needed a sound box to hear the tv. So that is misselling as it wasn't true.

I once returned a tv set to eo online because the sound quality was poor, at first they refused saying the product had been opened I countered by saying how could I possible know with out trying it out they then sent a courier to collect the set,i then bought one from argos,so they lost out big style.These big companies need taking down a peg or two.