Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

I was a little perplexed last week to receive a letter inviting me to one of these consultation meetings, with the insinuation that the proposed route(s) might affect our household...

I live on a cul-de-sac a stones throw from Ecclesfield Academy (or Comprehensive if you'd prefer) and until this point have kept my nose well and truly out of these discussions/debates, thinking I hadn't got a valid nor relevant opinion, as it wouldn't affect me. ie. not my business...

I'm now wondering whether they are planning on running the lines through my back garden, or whether every household in the entire area has had similar notification?

I was a little perplexed last week to receive a letter inviting me to one of these consultation meetings, with the insinuation that the proposed route(s) might affect our household...

I live on a cul-de-sac a stones throw from Ecclesfield Academy (or Comprehensive if you'd prefer) and until this point have kept my nose well and truly out of these discussions/debates, thinking I hadn't got a valid nor relevant opinion, as it wouldn't affect me. ie. not my business...

I'm now wondering whether they are planning on running the lines through my back garden, or whether every household in the entire area has had similar notification?

I got one as well with a super vague and undetailed map. Why not send a detailed map so people knew exactly what's being proposed?

HS2 is a political trick to keep the pound solid.

If there is no development, interest, investment drops and the national currency becomes unstable.

By pretending they are building HS2 they hope to keep things solid on the international markets.

When brexit happens and the tories stay in power you will hear a lot about HS2 but never really see it in your lifetime.

Absolutely correct BD1 , it is supposed to be for the SCR , in which case Meadowhall is the site that the whole of the city region (those that support Hs2 that is ) support , even Sheffield Chamber of Commerce Transport forum agreed that in `2013 .

Questions need to be asked of Sheffield City Council , how they managed to blow £190k of public money to move High Speed Rail away from Sheffield needs to be investigated , in my view it is either complete incompetence or if not perhaps an unseen agenda .

They claim the city centre station is the promised land , they are championing this as a victory for Sheffield , in truth they have bought a lose/lose situation , massive disruption and yet not High Speed , nor is it capable of providing the capacity needed to boost the economy to achieve the £5.3 Billion fantasy figure they are claiming , all they have achieved is a 20th century slow speed branch line , effectively cutting Sheffield out of the UK's premier infrastructure project for the 21st Century .

Sheffield is a loser , South Yorkshire is a loser , but Leeds can't believe their luck...quicker to travel from London to Leeds than London to Sheffield despite being many miles closer , for the next half century at least , can anyone really argue that is £190k well spent ?

Sheffield City Council should have read "21st Century Infrastructure for Idiots'' sadly they appear not to have .

Absolutely spot on and still the media and the council can't see it.

I've said all along that if the station isn't at Meadowhall then Sheffield loses out and they claim the slow branch line from Chesterfield is a victory.

But what do we expect with the blinkered attitudes of Julie Dore and of course Leigh Bramall at the helm.

Absolutely correct BD1 , it is supposed to be for the SCR , in which case Meadowhall is the site that the whole of the city region (those that support Hs2 that is ) support , even Sheffield Chamber of Commerce Transport forum agreed that in `2013 .

Absolutely spot on and still the media and the council can't see it.

Do either of you have any evidence that HS2 is supposed to be for the region rather than just for Sheffield? Or are you making it up?

If you look at this report it says there are five conflicting issues - geography, cost, connectivity with existing rail services, demand in cities north of Sheffield (Leeds, York and Newcastle), and the competing needs of Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley and Doncaster.

There's no evidence HS2 was supposed to be for the region as what HS2 was supposed to be for hasn't been decided yet. The debate is still going on. SCC put its point of view forward and it was accepted.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/535307/CS550A_South_Yorkshire_Report_WEB.pdf

It's a national infrastructure project, what "evidence" does it need that it's not somehow Sheffield centric?

It's "point of view" has reduced Sheffield from a stop on the main route, to a less frequented branch line. That's not good for the region or for Sheffield. All because of an obsession with having a city centre station.

It's a national infrastructure project, what "evidence" does it need that it's not somehow Sheffield centric?

It's "point of view" has reduced Sheffield from a stop on the main route, to a less frequented branch line. That's not good for the region or for Sheffield. All because of an obsession with having a city centre station.

They claimed HS2 was "supposed" to be for the region. No one has yet decided what it's supposed to be as that decision has yet to be made. They were just making things up. I was just pointing that out.

The decision to have the station in or near the city centre would benefit Sheffield and be to the detriment of the other South Yorkshire towns as evidenced by the fact that the leader of Barnsley Council prefers Meadowhall;

http://www.thestar.co.uk/business/south-yorkshire-politicians-clash-over-hs2-station-plans-1-6919051

It clearly won't benefit Sheffield in the slightest. Having a station with 3 trains an hour on the main route at Meadowhall is superior in every way to 1 train an hour to the city centre.

Perhaps the leader of the Barnsley council can see what everyone else can see. Nobody in SY or Sheffield benefits from a branch line to Sheffield, everyone, including Sheffield benefits from a Meadowhall station.

its was a done deal , the official announcement had been made , Sheffield had been chosen to receive massive investment with a state of the art HS2 station on the main HS2 line which would see three HS2 trains stop in the city every hour. This would probably have been the biggest government investment ever made in the city, and would have been a massive boost for the citys economy .

Yet the council , with their obsession of everything having to be situated in the city centre , threw it all away , lost the lost ,and were left with a booby prize of being on a branch line with one HS2 train per hour ,which wont be high speed anyway once it comes off the spurr near chesterfield.

Only SCC could snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Yer we all know this bunch of incompetents will still be voted back in at the next local elections.

its was a done deal , the official announcement had been made , Sheffield had been chosen to receive massive investment with a state of the art HS2 station on the main HS2 line which would see three HS2 trains stop in the city every hour. This would probably have been the biggest government investment ever made in the city, and would have been a massive boost for the citys economy .

Yet the council , with their obsession of everything having to be situated in the city centre , threw it all away , lost the lost ,and were left with a booby prize of being on a branch line with one HS2 train per hour ,which wont be high speed anyway once it comes off the spurr near chesterfield.

Only SCC could snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Yer we all know this bunch of incompetents will still be voted back in at the next local elections.

Watch the Queen on Christmas Day at 3pm.