Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

Putting it in meadowhall defeats the whole idea of the project. Whats the point of shaving 20mins of the length of a journey only to then have to wait in Meadowhall for a tram with your suitcases and then a 20min tram journey into sheffield.

People will just end up getting the normal train.

Higgins told SCC clearly and on several occasions that putting it in a city centre defeated the object of high speed rail...that is why Toton ( the Derby stop) is out of the city...actually much further out that Meadowhall to Sheffield City centre.

What journey times have been quoted?

Sorry I haven't the paperwork to hand, but I guarantee you it is faster...that is HS2 ltd's own published position.

When you consider Sheffield is many miles closer it is little more than an outrage.

Who really cares. Its 3 minutes difference because we have to have a branch spur line.

Its still a good 45 minutes less than the current "fast" train we have to London and nearly 100 minutes less than the some of the off peak trains we have to London. I dont care what people say. For travellers that makes a huge difference.

The fact that Sheffield will finally be able to get to London in just over 1 hour and 20 minutes is what this city has been screaming out for. It will force the electrification work to happen - something which has constantly fallen off the agenda over the years and will force track and station redevelopment to happen which it has to complete in order to get the thing running.

Enough with the tit for tat Leeds v Sheffield. Enough with the NIMBYs. Carry on like this and it will still be possible we we will be scrubbed off the map altogether. That will inevitably lead to any associated "improvements" to the area (including electrification) suddenly falling off the list too.

That would give people something to cry about.

Its announced. Its confirmed. We are still part of it. Happy face time.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Listening to the wireless last evening, HS2 was getting an airing so I gave it my full attention for what its worth.

There was a lady on who had been some kind of a major player in London. It seems she has now turned her talents to promoting HS2. The programme host asked her about the benefits of the super railway to us, the peasants. He gave her a good amount of time to explain, only butting in when she went off at a tangent. Here is the rub, I am not the brightest spanner in the box, but I can honestly say I am no wiser now than when she began. Does any one here know of the value of HS2 to the working man. It's difficult to twig what saving 30 mins getting to London will have for joe soap.

Angel1.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/536075/South_Yorkshire_Station_Options_Report_07072016.pdf

83 mins from Sheffield to London (incl. stop at Chesterfield).

80 mins from Leeds to London.

Cool.

So even though it isn't all about speed - it'll still chop about 40 minutes off the current journey time.

So what's the problem?

Listening to the wireless last evening, HS2 was getting an airing so I gave it my full attention for what its worth.

There was a lady on who had been some kind of a major player in London. It seems she has now turned her talents to promoting HS2. The programme host asked her about the benefits of the super railway to us, the peasants. He gave her a good amount of time to explain, only butting in when she went off at a tangent. Here is the rub, I am not the brightest spanner in the box, but I can honestly say I am no wiser now than when she began. Does any one here know of the value of HS2 to the working man. It's difficult to twig what saving 30 mins getting to London will have for joe soap.

Angel1.

Define 'working man'.

Who really cares. Its 3 minutes difference because we have to have a branch spur line.

Its still a good 45 minutes less than the current "fast" train we have to London and nearly 100 minutes less than the some of the off peak trains we have to London. I dont care what people say. For travellers that makes a huge difference.

The fact that Sheffield will finally be able to get to London in just over 1 hour and 20 minutes is what this city has been screaming out for. It will force the electrification work to happen - something which has constantly fallen off the agenda over the years and will force track and station redevelopment to happen which it has to complete in order to get the thing running.

Enough with the tit for tat Leeds v Sheffield. Enough with the NIMBYs. Carry on like this and it will still be possible we we will be scrubbed off the map altogether. That will inevitably lead to any associated "improvements" to the area (including electrification) suddenly falling off the list too.

That would give people something to cry about.

Its announced. Its confirmed. We are still part of it. Happy face time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but why would HS2 push electrification of Midland Main Line, seeing as most of HS2 is a new line?

They promised to electrify it all by 2000, and it hasn't even reached Leicester yet. And since the line ends at Sheffield, which the Tory's clearly don't give two hoots about, there's not much incentive there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but why would HS2 push electrification of Midland Main Line, seeing as most of HS2 is a new line?

They promised to electrify it all by 2000, and it hasn't even reached Leicester yet. And since the line ends at Sheffield, which the Tory's clearly don't give two hoots about, there's not much incentive there.

I can only assume that HS2 is going to be running electric trains. Therefore if HS2 is coming to Sheffield the overhead wiring must be there to service it.

2+2 go together surely.

I can only assume that HS2 is going to be running electric trains. Therefore if HS2 is coming to Sheffield the overhead wiring must be there to service it.

2+2 go together surely.

From chesterfield to Sheffield yes it'd be required.