Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

Forgot to add: you don't mention the buildings and businesses that have to be moved and demolished if the station were to be city centre as opposed to meadowhall.

Here's your quote that I originally responded to. You made it sound like the M'hall option involved no where near the levels of demolition and displacement that the Victoria option would - that's not actually true, is it? Not if you take into account the full route options from when they diverge to when they meet again.

The M'hall station will sit on fairly open land, but the line approaching it from either side will immediately run through land currently occupied by very large industrial businesses. Fact, no?

It will cause disruption either way. The tunnel going north from Victoria is the only real difference.

Here's your quote that I originally responded to. You made it sound like the M'hall option involved no where near the levels of demolition and displacement that the Victoria option would - that's not actually true, is it? Not if you take into account the full route options from when they diverge to when they meet again.

The M'hall station will sit on fairly open land, but the line approaching it from either side will immediately run through land currently occupied by very large industrial businesses. Fact, no?

It will cause disruption either way. The tunnel going north from Victoria is the only real difference.

According to the presentation given to us by HS2 the Meadowhall location will cause a lot less disruption and be significantly cheaper (if you take into consideration demolition and relocation costs, road building etc). They brought maps and figures to support this statement.

The Meadowhall option will also be useful to serve the large industrial development to be built from Todwick up through to Dinnington and the industrial development already underway from junction 36 right through to Manvers.

Did you get a counter-presentation from the Council/Welcome to Sheffield etc., i.e. pro-Victoria representatives on with the facts and figures regarding their ideas?

Disruption and displacement will be caused on either route, but it's claimed that the economic benefits of a Victoria station will massively outweigh those of Meadowhall.

Did you get a counter-presentation from the Council/Welcome to Sheffield etc., i.e. pro-Victoria representatives on with the facts and figures regarding their ideas?

Disruption and displacement will be caused on either route, but it's claimed that the economic benefits of a Victoria station will massively outweigh those of Meadowhall.

Andrew - respect to you for keeping up the fight. The points you make are intelligent and well-reasoned unlike much of what passes for debate on here (not all - I have a lot of respect for Annie Bynnol for instance). As for me I'm afraid I don't have the time to do battle with the anhydranencephalic hordes as I'm in France at the moment (excellent railway system BTW - stations generally in city centres).

Julie Dore's signed the Victoria idea off so one would hope that the real decision makers will be taking a serious and informed look at all sides of the economic arguments, not the wishful thinking some on here.

Edited by E-Man Groovin

There are a couple of points which need clarification.

If the new station is built at Victoria, is this instead of the line going through the Meadowhall area?

If this is going to be in addition to the Meadowhall route, what provision will be made to allow the southbound Leeds to Sheffield train to reach Victoria without crossing over the northbound tracks. I believe that the French model is for flyovers rather than x-junctions.

Why do you keep asking the same questions? Are you hoping you will get the answer you would like instead of the truth?

As I keep stating, I am not on the transport committee but I am on the policy & external affairs committee covers these issues too. A lot of people are on both committees. They have been to lots of meetings with the group wanting Sheffield city centre to be the location of the station instead of Meadowhall. Their argument / reasoning is based around the desire to have the station in the city in an attempt to regenerate it and no other reason.

If you fail to understand now, I give up. :rolleyes:

---------- Post added 21-12-2015 at 09:45 ----------

If the new station is built at Victoria, is this instead of the line going through the Meadowhall area?

If this is going to be in addition to the Meadowhall route, what provision will be made to allow the southbound Leeds to Sheffield train to reach Victoria without crossing over the northbound tracks. I believe that the French model is for flyovers rather than x-junctions.

HS2 told us there would not be two stops close together as it would slow the train down too much. I don't know if anything has changed as this presentation was some time ago.

The main alternative costed and considered by HS2 was a loop through Victoria. The mainline would have continued via Meadowhall but without a station.

The main reason that the Victoria option was rejected was on the grounds of a limited market not justifying the cost.

The issue that Sheffield people should consider is whether the connectivity of a station at Meadowhall* is topped by a tight Victoria site which is still not in the city centre.

Single line flyovers would be used at junctions as level cross overs block all the lines when used thus reducing capacity.

*The impact of an extra two mile journey out to Meadowhall on the whole of the passengers trip door to door is minimal.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

As I keep stating, I am not on the transport committee but I am on the policy & external affairs committee covers these issues too. A lot of people are on both committees. They have been to lots of meetings with the group wanting Sheffield city centre to be the location of the station instead of Meadowhall.

So can we take it that you haven't been to meetings with the group wanting Sheffield city centre to be the location of the station then?