Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

In a nutshell. SCC looking after themselves rather than South Yorkshire as a whole. Are SCC responsible for the numerous changes to the approaching road at midland station over the past few years???? They're gonna have to make alterations again to prepare for HS2.

It also needs pointing out that although a parkway station has been 'planned in' for somewhere in SY, it's not guaranteed they'll get one. Hence why Doncaster council are up in arms.

Please read the actual report and follow the decision process.

The Meadowhall route was favoured by government and the Victoria HS2 route by SCC.

The Midland spur and M18 route were rejected early on.

The Victoria route was rejected in favour of Meadowhall on the grounds of cost and justified locally by the benefits to the South Yorkshire area.

The Government were concerned about costs and invited HS2 to review.

The biggest saving of £1billion amongst others was what we have got and to justify this a case all the objections to the original Meadowhall route are being mentioned most of which is the large reduction in environmental impact on housing an industry. The lack of support for Meadowhall by SCC is mentioned but more importantly the economic impacts.

I would very much like to see the "briefing" notes by an MP who did not get his way and has to justify the pain without gain to his constituents, but I have never got any of the links to work.

It does run to Chesterfield though which is where it spurs off. There's also no change so you will remain on the newer trains.

Chesterfields obviously not very far away so I doubt it will have a massive difference on the journey time and will also increase the capacity.

The station should have been at Meadowhall benefiting all of South Yorkshire .

Sheffield council's insistence that it be in the City centre has in fact ruined it for all .

No wonder Barnsley and Rotherham look upon our council as intransigent.

The station should have been at Meadowhall benefiting all of South Yorkshire .

Sheffield council's insistence that it be in the City centre has in fact ruined it for all .

No wonder Barnsley and Rotherham look upon our council as intransigent.

The "... council's insistence..." on the Victoria had as much little impact on a £1 billion saving scheme as the 4000+ objectors to the Midland scheme. Follow the money.

I wonder if an alternate method of reducing the journey time from Sheffield to London would be to upgrade the Clay Cross to East Midlands Parkway route via Alfreton and Ilkeston. This would of course mean missing out stops at Derby (or Nottingham) but would also remove the slow(ish) trundle across from just south of Derby to East Midlands Parkway.

I wonder if an alternate method of reducing the journey time from Sheffield to London would be to upgrade the Clay Cross to East Midlands Parkway route via Alfreton and Ilkeston. This would of course mean missing out stops at Derby (or Nottingham) but would also remove the slow(ish) trundle across from just south of Derby to East Midlands Parkway.

This route was used in the past and still is when the Derby route is closed and yes it is faster. However when these trains get to the Trent they would be slowed down by the extra trains services needed by Derby customers and there would be no paths available south of Bedford.

Another way of getting to London faster would be upgrading the route to Retford and then to Kings Cross but there are no paths available here either.

Two very good examples of why capacity of our Victorian mainlines is the problem to be solved.

Has anyone noticed the gradual creep in the cost of this project?

Initially circa £30bn, slowly rose to £40bn, now recent estimates put the first London->Birmingham link a touch under £50bn with the entire thing now over £100bn.

Is it time to stat placing bets on the final cost?

I wonder if Ladbrokes are taking bets yet on the final cost, and how many years it will over run. :roll:

Good for people in Chesterfield if it stops there I'd have thought! The great train station robbery!!!

You can use that Derbyshire Times if you want.

I thought that, and to be fair it's probably not a bad idea if it does.

---------- Post added 19-07-2017 at 11:01 ----------

I wonder if Ladbrokes are taking bets yet on the final cost, and how many years it will over run. :roll:

When it was first announced at 30 billion (ish) I instantly thought 100bn was more likely.

Now I'm thinking £200bn is on the cards??

Guest makapaka
Except that instead of 3 trains an hour stopping at Meadowhell, requiring a change and a 5 minute journey into Sheffield, now there will be 1 train an hour, reducing to mainline speeds at Chesterfield (so 10 minutes away) but requiring no change.

So by comparison that capacity is significantly less than the original plan.

The spokesman on the radio yesterday said there would be 2 HS2 trains an hour in addition to the existing 4 trains an hour. So the capacity is 50% greater per hour.

And I would imagine most people heading to the centre of sheffield would rather have a 10min journey on the train (which would have been say 5 mins anyway on a HS2 line) than what would probably be a 5/10 min journey to Meadowhall and then a connection on to the city centre. That would almost certainly take longer.

The spokesman on the radio yesterday said there would be 2 HS2 trains an hour in addition to the existing 4 trains an hour. So the capacity is 50% greater per hour.

And I would imagine most people heading to the centre of sheffield would rather have a 10min journey on the train (which would have been say 5 mins anyway on a HS2 line) than what would probably be a 5/10 min journey to Meadowhall and then a connection on to the city centre. That would almost certainly take longer.

Only for people heading to the VERY centre of Sheffield. For anyone travelling anywhere else they'd still need to change trains or get a taxi or a bus. Meadowhall just meant that there would be more parking, better connections for onwards services, more high speed HS2 trains, better access to the motorways etc. The benefits of Meadowhall benefit a far wider group of people than the city centre option does, especially now the route is just a spur.