Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

54 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

The airport was crap anyway, far too short a runway to be of any actual use, surely people dont actually miss it?

It was limited, but the regular flights to Amsterdam meant you could get anywhere in the world. Don't miss it now, but I was a very regular user of that service to Amsterdam and beyond back in the day, and when it stopped I missed it. 

3 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

It was limited, but the regular flights to Amsterdam meant you could get anywhere in the world. Don't miss it now, but I was a very regular user of that service to Amsterdam and beyond back in the day, and when it stopped I missed it. 

True but personally happy to go to Manchester 

21 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

True but personally happy to go to Manchester 

Manchester is easy enough for me too, living in SW Sheff, but I could arrive at Sheffield Apt, park next to the terminal, check in, go through security in about 5 minutes. A completely different experience to Manchester, which can take an hour at times.

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Manchester is easy enough for me too, living in SW Sheff, but I could arrive at Sheffield Apt, park next to the terminal, check in, go through security in about 5 minutes. A completely different experience to Manchester, which can take an hour at times.

I like small airports but Manchester has Emirates, Qatar, Cathay and Singapore all great airlines

Just now, BigAl1 said:

I like small airports but Manchester has Emirates, Qatar, Cathay and Singapore all great airlines

True, but Sheffield had KLM, and from Amsterdam I could fly to all the African, M.E and Far East countries I used to spend my life travelling to (but no longer have to do). From memory, I don't recall the airlines you quote being what they are now, certainly not Emirates and Qatar, although I've used the Cathay flight from Manchester direct to HK many times.

5 hours ago, BigAl1 said:

I am not a fan of KLM it’s business class is very poor although I like their lounge in Amsterdam. 

give me the airlines I mentioned any day 

True ref KLM, but those airlines in the 90s were not what they are now. Been on some ropy Singapore Airlines business class flights within Asia in 90s and early 2000s.

We seem to be flying away from HS2.

However it wasn't helpful to the east leg's cause that Sheffield promoted a no hope route and rubbished the Meadowhall option. I seem to recall the Sheffield Chamber of Commerce supporting those views.

We won't know for certain what will actually get built for years yet, whatever is announced now, but the suspicion seems to be that part of HS2 east will be built south out of Leeds and also north up to the East Midlands leaving a big gap very noticeably north and south of Sheffield!

Whatever is built (if anything) will cost too much, double in price, take three times as long, be full of chronic mistakes, and be ready when everyone else has moved onto flying cars or a hyperloop system. From as long ago as canals being built as the first major intercity system, Sheffield has missed out or screwed up, while everyone else has moved on. 

Aren't we still the only major city with no local airport?

Edited by Anna B

32 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Whatever is built (if anything) will cost too much, double in price, take three times as long, be full of chronic mistakes, and be ready when everyone else has moved onto flying cars or a hyperloop system. From as long ago as canals being built as the first major intercity system, Sheffield has missed out or screwed up, while everyone else has moved on. 

Aren't we still the only major city with no local airport?

Doncaster Sheffield is about 23 miles away from central Sheffield. Not significantly much further than Heathrow is from Central London.

East Midlands? Leeds-Bradford? Manchester? All around 40 mile away. Not massively much further than Gatwick is to Central London.

Think about logistics of building a large airport capable of handling massive jumbos, the scale of them, the land required for runways, taxiways, terminal, car parking, transport. Just where exactly in our city built on many hills surrounded on several sides by the Peak District do you think would be suitable.

Let's not forget the council already tried to jump on the airport bandwagon once before. They wanted a slice of that action and make themselves look all high and mighty with their wannabe version of London City. We all know that worked out.

Honest to makes you wonder why they bother sometimes......if they build something people moan..... if they open something new people slag it off.....  if they redevelop something people complain it was better like the old version.....  if they announce some Project people whinge about the costs of it..... if they cancel some Project people complain they are being left out.

Can't build roads because the environmentalists kick-off. Try to repair existing railway structures people complain about disruption to their journeys. Announce and develop plans for HS2 people all whinge it's too expensive, too disruptive, too elitist, too pointless.  Scale back the project and now the very same people are complaining they broke their promises. 🙄

Edited by ECCOnoob