Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

15 hours ago, alchemist said:

I was under the impression that it was NOT a Royal yacht as they said they dont need one.  I think, like the jumbo, its a vanity project for the PM

The name means nothing at all. What is important is wasting money on a ship to BIG-US-UP in the world when we cannot even run a passable railway system.

British Governments for the last 50 years have had no sense of priorities.

Whilst we dress up in centuries old uniforms and parade gold stage coaches, other countries are forging ahead and tackling the modern world

On 19/11/2021 at 01:36, sadbrewer said:

I'm no fan of Johnson ( in any way shape or form) but it has to be remembered that despite his crocodile tears today, Keir Starmer voted against Hs2 in 2017.

He is a politician of course he will vote against what ever the other party decide and have absolutely no shame

2 hours ago, BigAl1 said:

He is a politician of course he will vote against what ever the other party decide and have absolutely no shame

There wasn't a HS2 vote in 2017. There was one in 2016 were he voted no but the proportion of MPs voting each way for the two main parties were roughly the same. There were a couple of HS2 votes in 2018 and 2019 but he didn't attend them (and so couldn't vote).

After 50 years of let downs by both Labour and Conservative Governments, I don't think it matters how Starmer voted anyway.

Our politicians seem to have lost the ability to run anything properly and need shaming by pointing out how some other countries have progressed whilst we argue and choose wrong priorities. 

6 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

The name means nothing at all. What is important is wasting money on a ship to BIG-US-UP in the world when we cannot even run a passable railway system.

British Governments for the last 50 years have had no sense of priorities.

Whilst we dress up in centuries old uniforms and parade gold stage coaches, other countries are forging ahead and tackling the modern world

Could not agree more. Far too much time and money spent hanging on to the past in this country.

When we are discussing  improvements and investments to our national railway system, the new ship, sometimes called the royal yacht, is VERY relevant.

We haven't got the money to waste on the prime ministers prestige projects when serious investment is needed  for our national infrastructure.

We are already 50 years behind other nations and I, for one, feel ashamed and don't want a prestige ship for those at the top to float around the world enjoying more goodies at our expense.

10 hours ago, altus said:

There wasn't a HS2 vote in 2017. There was one in 2016 were he voted no but the proportion of MPs voting each way for the two main parties were roughly the same. There were a couple of HS2 votes in 2018 and 2019 but he didn't attend them (and so couldn't vote).

Are you sure? I feel pretty certain they voted to approve  Phase 2a West Midlands to Crewe in 2017.

13 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

Are you sure? I feel pretty certain they voted to approve  Phase 2a West Midlands to Crewe in 2017.

If you search for "kier starmer hs2 vote" you get this as one of the results.

You can check here for all House of Commons votes.