Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

Money profits and the greed that comes with it will be the biggest driving factor of any future UK HS development or existing rail improvements.

It is the very reason the system is out of date with large non electrified sections and double the price of other European trains.

HS will be made by the same people who are in charge of what we got now.

Trying to get this back on topic, why not look into a spur from HS2 to city centre, to become part of HS3 in the future? Best of both worlds? And Dutch, if your railways are so great why aren't you over there using them instead of moaning about ours? Not that I'm defending them, our railways are an embarrassment.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

depends if the 'spur' is to be part of the HSL meaning London-Sheffield can be done at high speed throughout (allowing for acceleration/decelaration before some smartarse says owt ;) ) or if we're to be fobbed off with a slow speed connection thus negating any benefits of the HSL

Trying to get this back on topic, why not look into a spur from HS2 to city centre, to become part of HS3 in the future? Best of both worlds? And Dutch, if your railways are so great why aren't you over there using them instead of moaning about ours? Not that I'm defending them, our railways are an embarrassment.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

A spur from where though, (proposed) Meadowhall station or Birmingham?

The "spur" option was rejected at an early stage by all concerned.

Sheffield CC wants a route or a loop through the city (Victoria). This was the second choice and that's why its still a (slim) possibility.

The "spur" option is rejected because it puts Sheffield at a dead end with no connectivity to the north and Scotland. It will also require more trains and to provide the service without increasing the number of passengers.

"HS3" does not exist either as a route or plan. One thing is certain it will not be a high speed train as is HS1 or HS2 will be. At best it will be a partly new route with conventional trains separated from local services. The same arguments for a Meadowhall v Victoria solution apply.

I love the old trains, it is romantic.

HS is not yet coming, up to now it is only talk and thinking, dreaming about it.

I am looking forward to HS4. It will be a lot faster and better than HS2, just a matter of time and patience and we will get it one day in the future.

Everything needs to be faster and faster and higher capacity, this creates hidden stress hyper anxiety and many other neurotic by-products of living as fast as possible.

When it does come I'm rather certain they will include Sheffield city because Sheffield is important enough to not be ignored by it.

I would assume such a spur would come off the 'main' HS2 somewhere near Sheffield (without looking I don't know the route so not sure where that would be).

presumably there could also be a northbound spur forming a triangle to allow high speed services from Sheffield to north-east/scotland, probably a bit overkill while the line only goes to Leeds though

I still maintain anything other than a city-centre (ideally midland station) stop for Sheffield defeats the purpose of HS2 as far as Sheffield is concerned and is frankly an insult to the city

I would assume such a spur would come off the 'main' HS2 somewhere near Sheffield (without looking I don't know the route so not sure where that would be).

presumably there could also be a northbound spur forming a triangle to allow high speed services from Sheffield to north-east/scotland, probably a bit overkill while the line only goes to Leeds though

I still maintain anything other than a city-centre (ideally midland station) stop for Sheffield defeats the purpose of HS2 as far as Sheffield is concerned and is frankly an insult to the city

Due to cost worries over HS2, we might not even get the Meadowhall station.