Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

In which case then, that should be the basis for which is the best location, rather than a load of people on an Internet forum moaning about it.

I quite agree, I've seen what happens when you let the masses have a say in important decisions ;-)

my concern however is that the decision seems likely to be taken on the basis not of what's better for Sheffield (or South Yorks) but on what's cheaper and/or impedes journey times to L**ds the least

I quite agree, I've seen what happens when you let the masses have a say in important decisions ;-)

my concern however is that the decision seems likely to be taken on the basis not of what's better for Sheffield (or South Yorks) but on what's cheaper and/or impedes journey times to L**ds the least

Leeds is a bigger business centre than Sheffield so that is fair enough really. As much as people in Sheffield dont like that fact (and even go as far as putting stars in the name of the city) .

nor am I, but I am keen that the line should promote inward investment to Sheffield rather than simply allowing people to get to that London 20 minutes faster

So given that Sheffield city centre to Leeds, or Sheffield city centre to Manchester, or Sheffield city centre to London, or Sheffield city centre to Birmingham would probably be quicker using the old Victorian lines than using HS2, how does it actually benefit Sheffield?

So given that Sheffield city centre to Leeds, or Sheffield city centre to Manchester, or Sheffield city centre to London, or Sheffield city centre to Birmingham would probably be quicker using the old Victorian lines than using HS2, how does it actually benefit Sheffield?

they wouldn't if HS2 came into Sheffield proper! but also a good connection to London works both ways, and out-of-town parkway only entices people going to London, not from there to here

they wouldn't if HS2 came into Sheffield proper! but also a good connection to London works both ways, and out-of-town parkway only entices people going to London, not from there to here

Because a taxi from Meadowhall to the city centre is just too far for people who travel for miles on the underground just for a cup of coffee...

Because a taxi from Meadowhall to the city centre is just too far for people who travel for miles on the underground just for a cup of coffee...

And there we are thinking that the idea of HS2 is to cut journey times from London to Sheffield, not to allow Londoners to spend 30 minutes looking over the beauty spots of Darnall.

Exactly.

Let's face facts, when people on business get off the train at Manchester or Leeds they'll also have to get a taxi to where they want to go. Granted it's a bit longer in Sheffield, but not so much that it should put people off coming here.

Exactly.

Let's face facts, when people on business get off the train at Manchester or Leeds they'll also have to get a taxi to where they want to go. Granted it's a bit longer in Sheffield, but not so much that it should put people off coming here.

So when folk mention that HS2 is supposed to cut journey times that won't be the case in Sheffield unless you are up from London to go shopping at Meadowhall.

So when folk mention that HS2 is supposed to cut journey times that won't be the case in Sheffield unless you are up from London to go shopping at Meadowhall.

How long does it take to take a taxi from Meadowhall to the city centre?