Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

So when folk mention that HS2 is supposed to cut journey times that won't be the case in Sheffield unless you are up from London to go shopping at Meadowhall.

It is aimed to cut journey times from STATION x to STATION y HS2 cannot be held responsible for how long it takes to get to the final destination. You would still have to travel from the station, unless your destination happens to be the station itself

It is aimed to cut journey times from STATION x to STATION y HS2 cannot be held responsible for how long it takes to get to the final destination. You would still have to travel from the station, unless your destination happens to be the station itself

I'm struggling to understand why people cannot grasp this basic point.

So if you are travelling to Sheffield you may as well get off at Derby thus saving 20 minutes on your rail journey time.

---------- Post added 17-05-2016 at 15:40 ----------

How long does it take to take a taxi from Meadowhall to the city centre?

I would imagine rather longer than the time you saved travelling on HS2. Do taxis have WIFI and coffee?

Edited by foxy lady

I would imagine rather longer than the time you saved travelling on HS2.

So if the HS2 doesn't build a spur from it's mainline to exactly where everybody could possibly ever want to go in Sheffield, you believe it's going to be a waste of money.

You also seem to believe that we'd be better off paying to replace all the track, bridges and stations to accommodate your idea of double decker trains, that won't take people exactly to where they want to go.

So if you are travelling to Sheffield you may as well get off at Derby thus saving 20 minutes on your rail journey time.

---------- Post added 17-05-2016 at 15:40 ----------

I would imagine rather longer than the time you saved travelling on HS2. Do taxis have WIFI and coffee?

But what if I'm not going to the city centre? What if I'm going somewhere else? Not everything of any importance is in the city centre (not by a mile!)

But what if I'm not going to the city centre? What if I'm going somewhere else? Not everything of any importance is in the city centre (not by a mile!)

Even if you are going to the city centre, if you're here on business you'd are more than likely going to get a taxi from the station to your destination.

How long does it take to take a taxi from Meadowhall to the city centre?

clear run 20 mins (officially 19 mins according to a well known map service). Snarled up anything up to 45 minutes. Just make sure your meeting in the city centre is after 9.30am I guess.

So given that Sheffield city centre to Leeds, or Sheffield city centre to Manchester, or Sheffield city centre to London, or Sheffield city centre to Birmingham would probably be quicker using the old Victorian lines than using HS2, how does it actually benefit Sheffield?

There is no HS2 route between Manchester and Sheffield unless you went down to Birmingham, changed and then went up to Manchester- which would be silly.

Your basic geography seems confused about the location and size of Darnall as it would be very difficult to spend 30 minutes going through it even on a 52. Few would use it as a route to the centre.

Nobody has "given" a "probably" or "won't be the case" about London Sheffield journey times being longer on HS2 than on the Victorian times. The thread is at a point were the relative journey times to the centre from the HS2 station being at Victoria or Meadowhall. are being considered.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

Well the question of redeveloping the city centre springs to mind.

If you were looking to relocate to Sheffield and it came to making a choice between the city centre or a new development at Meadowhall. You would consider

Meadowhall has a high speed rail link to London. It is 2 minutes from the M1 even at rush hour. It is 15 minutes from Robin Hood Airport and you can park as many cars as you care to. Sheffield has traffic wardens and traffic problems. It's not really a tough call.

clear run 20 mins (officially 19 mins according to a well known map service). Snarled up anything up to 45 minutes. Just make sure your meeting in the city centre is after 9.30am I guess.

I guess that the snarled up part would be in the city centre part of the journey, so maybe something similar could happen if you were to get a taxi from the existing train station to wherever the meeting was.