Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

I don't think I understand your point.

Why would you drive from Meadowhall (if you'd arrived by train) to the current station? Instead of just taking one of the frequent and quick trains that go there...

You've not heard of taxis? They can be spotted by the light on the roof.

I believe that is exactly what I said. HS2 gives no benefit to most Sheffielders over the old Victorian lines travelling to these places. So if I want to go to Manchester I would be better going to Totley and taking the slow train. If I wanted to go to London I'd be better off going to Chesterfield and taking the slow train. If I wanted to go to Birmingham I'd be better off going to Sheffield and taking the slow train. Can you see a pattern emerging here?

Why would somebody who chooses to catch London bound trains from Chesterfield go to Sheffield to catch a train to Birmingham?

There is also a faster and more frequent service from Chesterfield direct to Manchester than from Dore.

40 minutes shorter journey time. Maximum of 15 mins from Meadowhall to current train station. That's a minimum 25 minute saving... Probably more in most cases.

But as we said before. These are times for the railways 30 years in the future. In 30 years the regular trains will be faster anyhow.

Also your maths is flawed. How long is the wait between getting off an HS2 at Meadowhall and being on your way by train to Sheffield, providing you can get on to it? How far do you have to lug your luggage?

So actually likely to be no time saving whatsoever. Certainly not a time saving worth £30 billion when you can just jump on a regular train and arrive along with your luggage in the centre of Sheffield.

---------- Post added 17-05-2016 at 20:41 ----------

There is also a faster and more frequent service from Chesterfield direct to Manchester than from Dore.

But only if you live in Chesterfield. If you live in Dore it takes quite a while to get to Chesterfield.

---------- Post added 17-05-2016 at 20:44 ----------

Londoners are very used to changing trains. So getting off one train at Meadowhall and onto another to the city centre will hardly be a challenge for them...

And there's me thinking the idea was to make things more convenient for the consumers, when actually you want to give them a challenge.

And there's me thinking the idea was to make things more convenient for the consumers, when actually you want to give them a challenge.

Surely you understand that due to cost issues, there is a limit to the convenience that can be offered to people?

You've not heard of taxis? They can be spotted by the light on the roof.

Given that the train is faster and that said person has just arrived by train, why would they take a taxi instead of continuing the train journey?

You don't travel very much do you...:thumbsup:

---------- Post added 17-05-2016 at 20:49 ----------

Have you ever travelled to London by train?

Did you have a fit when you realised that your train stopped at St Pancras and that you were going to need to have to walk entire hundreds of metres to the tube, then catch more trains, then walk some more...

Given that the train is faster and that said person has just arrived by train, why would they take a taxi instead of continuing the train journey?

You don't travel very much do you....

That's a pretty idiotic thought. I'd take a taxi because I'd want to be in the city centre, not at the city centre railway station trying to get a taxi to where I wanted to be. You don't get out much do you?

---------- Post added 17-05-2016 at 20:56 ----------

Have you ever travelled to London by train?

Did you have a fit when you realised that your train stopped at St Pancras and that you were going to need to have to walk entire hundreds of metres to the tube, then catch more trains, then walk some more...

I've travelled to London many times. On one occassion along with our local MP. It is the train that takes the strain. An extra 5 or 10 minutes on a direct train isn't really an issue. Changing trains, changing platforms and waiting for connections is.

That's a pretty idiotic thought. I'd take a taxi because I'd want to be in the city centre, not at the city centre railway station trying to get a taxi to where I wanted to be. You don't get out much do you?

Who you consider that you were originally talking about how people from Hope Valley might access HS2. Wouldn't the train station be the ideal place where to catch a train to Hope Valley from?

Call me old fashioned if you like! :hihi:

Surely you understand that due to cost issues, there is a limit to the convenience that can be offered to people?

We could save £31 billion and allow convenient trains to arrive in the centre of Sheffield. Can you imagine how much improvement you can make to the current main line, to the passenger confort and to the rolling stock by spending half that amount on them? Can you imagine how bad our existing trains and roads would be in 30 years if £31 billion of the transport budget is diverted to building HS2?

---------- Post added 17-05-2016 at 21:08 ----------

Who you consider that you were originally talking about how people from Hope Valley might access HS2. Wouldn't the train station be the ideal place where to catch a train to Hope Valley from?

Call me old fashioned if you like! :hihi:

Well call me old fashioned if you like, but I recall some joke about giving directions where the guy says "If I were going there I wouldn't be starting from here".

So if you have to drive to get to Hope in order to get a train to Sheffield, so you can get a train to Meadowhall, so you can get a train to London, you would probably be better off driving to Chesterfield and taking the direct train from there.

We could save £31 billion and allow convenient trains to arrive in the centre of Sheffield. Can you imagine how much improvement you can make to the current main line, to the passenger confort and to the rolling stock by spending half that amount on them? Can you imagine how bad our existing trains and roads would be in 30 years if £31 billion of the transport budget is diverted to building HS2?

We've been through this before though.

How do we increase the current infrastructure without building new lines? It's not feasible to just add a couple of lines to existing track with out causing all sorts of problems.

So if we're going to build new track, we might as well make it high speed track.

---------- Post added 17-05-2016 at 21:10 ----------

Well call me old fashioned if you like, but I recall some joke about giving directions where the guy says "If I were going there I wouldn't be starting from here".

So if you have to drive to get to Hope in order to get a train to Sheffield, so you can get a train to Meadowhall, so you can get a train to London, you would probably be better off driving to Chesterfield and taking the direct train from there.

So why would someone be driving a taxi from Meadowhall to the current Sheffield station, if they're going to catch the train from Chesterfield? Or are we back into the realms of - it's not helping a specific person living in Hope Valley, so lets scrape the idea?

Do you think that maybe you've allowed yourself to become a little bit muddled up?

Edited by JFKvsNixon