Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

If that is your choice, getting off at birmingham would no doubt save you even more time :) But as I say, a journey is only from one hub to another. Slightly off topic but just as relevant, would you want airports to be in city centres to save the taxi journey time?

Actually a journey time is from leaving your start point to arrival at your destination. It also includes all those inconvenient bits like waiting for a connection. You have to leave enough time in case your train is delayed and you arrive after your connection has left. It seems obvious to me but clearly not to others.

---------- Post added 18-05-2016 at 10:13 ----------

Dont forget that in every other city centre apart from sheffield the train runs to every house and office :)

Don't forget that in every city a car does run to every house and office, and people have a choice.

I get the feeling that you don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about.

One of us certainly doesn't. People can judge for themselves who it is.

If it's me, I guess that the people who studied all the options and settled on HS2 as the best one must have been equally confused though, it's such a shame they didn't have you there to explain to them why HS2 was of no use because someone could drive to Chesterfield from Hope and catch a train to London that would take longer.

---------- Post added 18-05-2016 at 10:21 ----------

Don't forget that in every city a car does run to every house and office, and people have a choice.

What's your point, are you now arguing that more roads should have been built instead of HS2?

---------- Post added 18-05-2016 at 10:25 ----------

Also trains from Hope to Meadowhall tend to run about 1 every 2 hours so it isn't really likely that you will find one at a time you want to travel.

Don't forget that in your glorious future trains will run faster and more frequently. So the connection to HS2 will be easier.

And since you were so keen on taxi's earlier, getting to hope station from within the hope valley should be pretty easy.

I can't understand why you'd want to undertake a slower journey that involved driving further or how this is proof that HS2 somehow isn't needed... The fact that there will be a seat available from Chesterfield to London will be down to the extra capacity of HS2 and that many of the people who might be filling the Chesterfield train will instead still be getting on at Meadowhall before arriving sooner in London than the Chesterfield train.

Actually a journey time is from leaving your start point to arrival at your destination. It also includes all those inconvenient bits like waiting for a connection. You have to leave enough time in case your train is delayed and you arrive after your connection has left. It seems obvious to me but clearly not to others.

---------- Post added 18-05-2016 at 10:13 ----------

I think that you may be missing the point here. HS2 is designed to reduce travel times between STATIONS, NOT specifically total journey times between the middle of nowhere to the middle of nowhere. How you choose to get to and from said stations is your choice as is the case currently, and will affect journey times and is totally irrelevant to the designers of HS2 who quite frankly wont care :)

That's quite simple. Many of the Birmingham trains from Sheffield don't stop at Chesterfield which makes it difficult to get onto them.

Mon-Sat 20 stop and 12 don't.

Sun 16 do 6 don't.

Even if they don't it would be quicker and cheaper to change at Derby than going up to Sheffield

Edited by Annie Bynnol

HS2 is designed to reduce travel times between STATIONS, NOT specifically total journey times between the middle of nowhere to the middle of nowhere.

HS2 is designed to increase capacity. The present rail network will reach its present capacity in the next decade with passenger demand having grown at 5% a year for twenty years.

Mon-Sat 20 stop and 12 don't.

Sun 16 do 6 don't.

Even if they don't it would be quicker and cheaper to change at Derby than going up to Sheffield

Well some folk have nothing better to do than hanging around on station platforms waiting for a connection.

Well some folk have nothing better to do than hanging around on station platforms waiting for a connection.

So after wanting the HS2 to build a spur from it's mainline to exactly where everybody could possibly ever want to go in and around Sheffield, you now also want trains to run whenever anybody could possibly ever want to travel.

So after wanting the HS2 to build a spur from it's mainline to exactly where everybody could possibly ever want to go in and around Sheffield, you now also want trains to run whenever anybody could possibly ever want to travel.

It shows how little attention you pay. I don't want them to build HS2 at all, so I've no desire for them to build a spur to anywhere from it.

I watched a demonstration of driverless cars last year and have travelled on many driverless trains around the world. The trains track the train in front using GPS and they anticipate when they need to brake. It allows trains and cars to follow much closer and increases the capacity of the system. Not really hard to imagine that system on the underground in a decade and on our railways before HS2 can turn a wheel.

We are motor dealers and live out in the sticks, so I tend to travel by car and usually only use the train if I need to collect a car. I did try the trams once and got stuck at Crystal Peaks when a broken down tram blocked the tracks. If I'd taken a car I could have just gone round it, but it seems trams and trains are required to follow the tracks.

Edited by foxy lady

It shows how little attention you pay. I don't want them to build HS2 at all, so I've no desire for them to build a spur to anywhere from it.

I watched a demonstration of driverless cars last year and have travelled on many driverless trains around the world. The trains track the train in front using GPS and they anticipate when they need to brake. It allows trains and cars to follow much closer and increases the capacity of the system. Not really hard to imagine that system on the underground in a decade and on our railways before HS2 can turn a wheel.

We are motor dealers and live out in the sticks, so I tend to travel by car and usually only use the train if I need to collect a car. I did try the trams once and got stuck at Crystal Peaks when a broken down tram blocked the tracks.

Now I understand, you're just looking for any excuse to rubbish HS2.

I like the story about your little adventure on the tram, it was quaint.

---------- Post added 18-05-2016 at 12:26 ----------

If I'd taken a car I could have just gone round it, but it seems trams and trains are required to follow the tracks.

You are correct. It does seem to be the case that trains and tram are required to follow the tracks.

Edited by JFKvsNixon