Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

It sounds to me the high speed line to Leeds will be built as planned but a few trains will divert off onto the classic network to take a diversionary loop serving the existing Sheffield station.

It wont be a loop from what I can see, more a "spur". Once it gets to Sheffield it goes no further and turns back.

It wont be a loop from what I can see, more a "spur". Once it gets to Sheffield it goes no further and turns back.

Well THATS certainly ALOT better than the Meadowhall option isnt it!! Thanks SCC for putting us on the dead end map

Well THATS certainly ALOT better than the Meadowhall option isnt it!! Thanks SCC for putting us on the dead end map

Indeed, its backfired on them a bit. Then again it seems the Meadowhall site was never suitable anyway due to coal workings or something, so maybe the city centre option was always going to be the final one, with or without SCC meddling.

Again the current National Audit Report has absolutely nothing to do with the submissions made by Sheffield City Council.

The current speculation on the HS2 route is due to accountants from the National Audit Office using the words "spur" ie a dead end and other options being considered by another report by HS2 due out on the July 7th.

This NAO report has absolutely nothing to do with Sheffield Council as anyone who has read it will see.

The brief of the NAO was to report on the delivery of the current phase 1(to Birmingham)plan and to evaluate the process of managing the phase 2a(Manchester) and phase 2b(Leeds).

The report specifically states that they expect a saving in construction with a station in Sheffield- totally unknown routes and site. This saving would have to be balanced by Cost Benefit and Regional Benefit- totally unknown by NAO. They have not decided or suggested that Sheffield centre is a better route.

On July 7th the HS2 report will confirm the present route or generate a new phase 2b plan. Any new plan will have considered costs, time, demand etc. from evidence which has been provided by planners, designers, contractors and submissions from regional interest groups like SC.

Until July 7th all is speculation on speculation.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

Indeed, its backfired on them a bit. Then again it seems the Meadowhall site was never suitable anyway due to coal workings or something, so maybe the city centre option was always going to be the final one, with or without SCC meddling.

Is it a case of only not building the station at Meadowhall.... I assume the line to Leeds will still go through there, unless it is diverted away from the area.

As frequent traveller to London and the SW I will welcome a decision for a central location for HS2. Not to mention the extra capacity that may be available for cross country services to the SW.

Is it a case of only not building the station at Meadowhall.... I assume the line to Leeds will still go through there, unless it is diverted away from the area.

I think the line going through the area is fine, it just wont be able to support a station. This is just a guess though. We shall know more on Thursday with the report release.

Edited by Hambeast