Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

There are two issues:

Connectivity - yes Victoria is possibly not the optimal solution, but if you get currently drive to Retford or Doncaster then you could continue to do that and get a connecting service into Sheffield. Traffic round Meadowhall can also be difficult investment will be needed in the road infrastructure at both locations.

Regeneration - building the station in the City Centre will revitalise business there, that is what I am referring to.

I know what you are referring to, that's why I say you are wrong. As I said, I am well aware of traffic in various areas of our region and beyond. 'We' are likely to attract new business to the region if the whole region is regenerated, not just Sheffield city centre which nobody and get in and out of or park up at. More work will be needed for the city centre option; have you read the HS2 reports or been to the meetings? It seems to me a lot of people make assumptions rather than base their comments on fact or experience.

'We' are likely to attract new business to the region if the whole region is regenerated, not just Sheffield city centre which nobody and get in and out of or park up at.

"Nobody" can get in and out of that there London (or Paris, Stockholm, Edinburgh for that matter) city centre of a workday. Doesn't seem to stop those cities from attracting (don't forget incubating) desirable businesses.

#JustSaying

What's also really important is the workforce. It would be hard to set up, or create a successful digital or science enterprise without a pool of the skilled/educated local people to employ. Sheffield (2 universities) has that.

#ThinkBigger

Edited by E-Man Groovin

"Nobody" can get in and out of that there London (or Paris, Stockholm, Edinburgh for that matter) city centre of a workday. Doesn't seem to stop those cities from attracting (don't forget incubating) desirable businesses.

#JustSaying

What's also really important is the workforce. It would be hard to set up, or create a successful digital or science enterprise without a pool of the skilled/educated local people to employ. Sheffield (2 universities) has that.

#ThinkBigger

You are missing the point again. Not sure if you are doing this on purpose or are unaware what is available out there.

There are digital and scientific, and various other business incubators all over the place. Some in the city centre, many are not. Tell me why you think location is so important for these incubators? Do you think educated people only live in the city centre? Do you think digital businesses need to be in the city centre? Good road links are often more important than location, especially if you need to travel to see clients rather than stay on an office. Time is money to a business.

Sheffield isn't the only place to do science courses. It didn't do suitable courses for my scientific education; I had to do my HNC and degree in Leeds Poly/Met and the Uni. Don't assume educated people can't or won't travel beyond a city boundary or relocate.

Its easier to get to all those places from Sheffield Train Station.

Rotherham - Bus, Tram/Train, Train

Barnsley - Bus & Train

Doncaster - Bus & Train

Meadowhall - Bus, Tram/Train, Train

It is not, it is far easier to get to all of them, by all forms of transport listed from Meadowhall than it is Sheffield.

It is easier to get to Sheffield Bus Station from Meadowhall than it is from Sheffield Station, by bus, without one having to cross a main road (and hold up traffic) - there really ought be a bridge over (or tunnel under) the inner city ring road for pedestrians coming out of the station.

The only thing in Meadowhall is shoppping. Not great if your coming to sheffield for business, shopping, theatre, restaurants, bars, nightclubs etc etc

There is potential for a whole lot more, and lots of industrial land turned brownfield near there could be used to build a new city in it's own right as our industrial base is exported.

Besides, from Meadowhall, it's only a few minutes on the train to get to Sheffield, and it'd be quicker and easier to do that, than to walk to Sheffield Midland from Sheffield Victoria. So Meadowhall is far better for Sheffield, than Sheffield Victoria.

You are missing the point again. Not sure if you are doing this on purpose or are unaware what is available out there.

There are digital and scientific, and various other business incubators all over the place. Some in the city centre, many are not. Tell me why you think location is so important for these incubators? Do you think educated people only live in the city centre? Do you think digital businesses need to be in the city centre? Good road links are often more important than location, especially if you need to travel to see clients rather than stay on an office. Time is money to a business.

Sheffield isn't the only place to do science courses. It didn't do suitable courses for my scientific education; I had to do my HNC and degree in Leeds Poly/Met and the Uni. Don't assume educated people can't or won't travel beyond a city boundary or relocate.

One word: Clustering.

One word: Clustering.

LOL. I'm afraid I can't take you seriously, you simply are not credible with these comments. These 'clusters' are better located within easy access of employees and visitors. Not all employees live in the city centre, many commute. Its funny how so many out of town business incubators are full but there are vacant ones in the centre. Research and phone a few to confirm my statement. I found this when looking for an office / virtual office in Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster and Worksop.

There is potential for a whole lot more, and lots of industrial land turned brownfield near there could be used to build a new city in it's own right as our industrial base is exported.

Meadowhall could become a 2nd centre but is that what we really want. You could end up with no new businesses at Meadowhall because there's none of the usual city centre infrastructure at Meadowhall and businesses preferring other city centres who do have high speed rail.

Besides, from Meadowhall, it's only a few minutes on the train to get to Sheffield, and it'd be quicker and easier to do that, than to walk to Sheffield Midland from Sheffield Victoria. So Meadowhall is far better for Sheffield, than Sheffield Victoria.

As per previous posts they are adding other transport facilities to Victoria including a classic railway station, you would only have to walk between Midland in a small number of cases.

How arrogant of Sheffield and The Star..this is a station for South Yorkshire - NOT just Sheffield!

Meadowhall is the perfect location. next to M1, a train stations with 100's of departures to local towns/cities, ample room to build a large car park and the tram station....easy access for all in South Yorkshire

We should think our selves lucky it's coming to city at all as we usually get left out.I'm surprised Doncaster wasn't chosen

SCC and business leaders often cite Meadowhall as the reason the city centre is on it's ass but hypocritically promote it as reason to come to Sheffield forgetting the vast amount of money and employment it brings into the Sheffield city region.

LOL. I'm afraid I can't take you seriously, you simply are not credible with these comments. These 'clusters' are better located within easy access of employees and visitors. Not all employees live in the city centre, many commute. Its funny how so many out of town business incubators are full but there are vacant ones in the centre. Research and phone a few to confirm my statement. I found this when looking for an office / virtual office in Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster and Worksop.

I'm not completely sure you understand the term clustering in the context of digital hi-tech startups. Anyway, now it's my turn to giggle. I know a little more about Sheffield (and other) digital incubators than you might assume.

However internet forum point scoring is so 2012. I understand that as a business located in Rotherham you might have a particular interest in where HS2 is located, and as dyed-in-the-wool urbanaut (London, Oxford, Brighton, Sheffield) I have my differing perspective. I hope we can remain civil.

I hope also that you will please allow me to post an interesting article about tech clustering from Computer Weekly? Thanks.

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240214311/Analysis-How-will-tech-startup-clusters-survive-outside-London