Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

Here you go:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/team-sheffield-s-campaign-of-strength-and-unity-wins-hs2-for-the-city-centre-1-8000826

or if, like mine, your computer takes an eternity to load the page, I'll put you out of your misery,

Team Sheffield’s campaign of ‘strength and unity’ wins HS2 for the city centre

Read more: http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/team-sheffield-s-campaign-of-strength-and-unity-wins-hs2-for-the-city-centre-1-8000826#ixzz4Dg3uwSnQ

---------- Post added 07-07-2016 at 01:21 ----------

Indeed it does.

Sorry, started posting this ages ago and got sidetracked, so your post uploaded before I put mine up.

Edited by Lex Luthor

Report Recommendations by HS2. To be decided later in the year by the Government

HS2 to Leeds will be re-routed east of Rotherham towards Mexborough/Conisborough paralleling the M1/M18

A connection will be built south of Chesterfield to join up with the MML.

Trains may stop at Chesterfield.

Trains will continue to Sheffield Midland(via Dore) where they will terminate.

There will be no HS2 services to Leeds*and the North.

This will cost £2 billion less.

The report also mentions the possibilities* of routes and services to Leeds etc obviously costed to another plan such as HS3.

At least they talk about trains maybe carrying on going through Sheffield further north to Leeds, which is something I thought would be lost.

And taking the HS2 line further east to avoid Meadhall completly is interesting. Maybe this wont be too bad after all.

Presumably HS2 won't be very HS on the 'existing lines' though. So far from common sense, this is the worst of both worlds.

Instead of a dedicated new station, with plenty of parking and on the direct line north to south and within 5 minutes of the city centre on a quick change of train, we now have a slower journey, serving an existing station with parking and travel problems. In what way is this better than the original plan?

Presumably HS2 won't be very HS on the 'existing lines' though. So far from common sense, this is the worst of both worlds.

The time loss should will be minimal though as will be on HS2 lines as far as Chesterfield, so for 90%-ish of the journey. Can anyone remember what the stated journey time would have been from London to Meadowhall under the original plan, and what does it state the time being now for the journey from London to central Sheffield?

Well that's just fabulous.

It's actually slower than the Meadowhall option (even taking into account the transfer), and also means that trains between Sheffield and London will be slower than trains between Leeds and London.

And initially (therefore probably permanently as there will be no more money) no HS trains between Sheffield and Leeds.

I'm only a few hundred meters from the Meadowhall route, so really I should be pleased it's changed, but I can't help feeling that this renders Sheffield a backwater that's being bypassed.

---------- Post added 07-07-2016 at 08:36 ----------

The time loss should will be minimal though as will be on HS2 lines as far as Chesterfield, so for 90%-ish of the journey. Can anyone remember what the stated journey time would have been from London to Meadowhall under the original plan, and what does it state the time being now for the journey from London to central Sheffield?

It was 78 minutes including transfer, now it's 83 minutes.

Leeds was 81 minutes, now it's 80 minutes.

The improved local journey time from Sheffield to Leeds would probably have been more valuable than the quicker journey to London.

But the NIMBIES have got their way. No HS2 to Sheffield or to Meadowhall. What a result.

Well that's just fabulous.

It's actually slower than the Meadowhall option (even taking into account the transfer), and also means that trains between Sheffield and London will be slower than trains between Leeds and London.

And initially (therefore probably permanently as there will be no more money) no HS trains between Sheffield and Leeds.

I'm only a few hundred meters from the Meadowhall route, so really I should be pleased it's changed, but I can't help feeling that this renders Sheffield a backwater that's being bypassed.

---------- Post added 07-07-2016 at 08:36 ----------

It was 78 minutes including transfer, now it's 83 minutes.

Leeds was 81 minutes, now it's 80 minutes.

Compared to the current 2 hours (?) its still a signnificant time saving, although Leeds saving an extra minute is probably an amusing irony in all of this.