Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

Being in Essex at present I notice that there are two lines from Southend into London. The one nearest where I am offers 12 coach trains every 10 minutes into the capital during the morning peak, and it's standing room only for the last 4 stations into the city. There are similar routes into London from all points of the compass, most of which are similarly overcrowded.

HS2 is about capacity to the north. It's easy to take a local view, but it must be galling for those in the south to hear of so much being spent on providing limited extra capacity up north.

Far more has been spent on increasing capacity in the south east recently than the rest of the country put together.

Far more has been spent on increasing capacity in the south east recently than the rest of the country put together.

Possibly because far more people live there and already use trains because the area is totally jammed with cars at peak periods.

Why so many people want to live there is, of course, a mystery to those of us who live further away, but they do.

Anyway, there's a lot more information about the HS2 options here; https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/536075/South_Yorkshire_Station_Options_Report_07072016.pdf

id rather see the current rail networks invested and improved on, getting to London few mins earlier is pointless

The current networks are not going to be able to meet demand in the foreseeable future. There are so many trains you can get on the existing network.

Remember this is for the Sheffield REGION. Not just Sheffield.

Rotherham, Doncaster and Barnsley are all set to lose out by this selfish decision, but hey ho Sheffield will be OK so nothing else matters.

Not necessarily, if a parkway station is built on the M18 corridor which the line will pass over/under or in the Dearne Valley then Rotherham, Barnsley and Doncaster become big winners in this.

Fastest timings such as 83 minutes from Sheffield to London and only 80 minutes from Leeds to London point to the fact how much slower the line speed from South of Chesterfield into Sheffield will be.

The area East of Rotherham was decimated by the decline of the coal industry and this could be the shot in the arm that area so desperately needs.

How Sheffield Council and The Star can claim a victory in all this is beyond me, when I can envisage investors either going to Leeds or indeed the Dearne Valley area with the promise of a better train service to London as well as the Midlands and to the North via the ECML.

Another case of shooting themselves in the foot, well done Sheffield City Council for winning the case for a branch line away from the original HS2 alignment.

Possibly because far more people live there and already use trains because the area is totally jammed with cars at peak periods.

Why so many people want to live there is, of course, a mystery to those of us who live further away, but they do.

Anyway, there's a lot more information about the HS2 options here; https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/536075/South_Yorkshire_Station_Options_Report_07072016.pdf

Will this make the Yorkshire region become commuter land ?

Yorkshire to London in 80 minutes in the time some slower commuter trains manage to get through to the commuter belt in Cambridgeshire.

Land and property prices may well rise around here and surely that will be good for the local economy.

---------- Post added 07-07-2016 at 22:09 ----------

Not exactly accurate though is it...... "The Shimmer estate in Mexborough, which started work in 2011, would have to be razed to the ground to accommodate the HS2 line, if the proposal made today to route the line through Sheffield Midland, is approved."

The Sheffield Midland line isn't the issue here is it ?

Guest busdriver1
Not necessarily, if a parkway station is built on the M18 corridor which the line will pass over/under or in the Dearne Valley then Rotherham, Barnsley and Doncaster become big winners in this.

Fastest timings such as 83 minutes from Sheffield to London and only 80 minutes from Leeds to London point to the fact how much slower the line speed from South of Chesterfield into Sheffield will be.

The area East of Rotherham was decimated by the decline of the coal industry and this could be the shot in the arm that area so desperately needs.

How Sheffield Council and The Star can claim a victory in all this is beyond me, when I can envisage investors either going to Leeds or indeed the Dearne Valley area with the promise of a better train service to London as well as the Midlands and to the North via the ECML.

Another case of shooting themselves in the foot, well done Sheffield City Council for winning the case for a branch line away from the original HS2 alignment.

Agreed, a Parkway station would be good. The area between Rotherham and Doncaster is ripe for Growth and I would expect it to gain from this if it goes ahead, and dare I say to the detriment of Sheffield.

A clear case of be careful what you wish for...........

---------- Post added 08-07-2016 at 01:02 ----------

Are they? You clearly didnt read the report. It specifically mentions the benefits for Doncaster at the very least.

In any case the number of people using HS2 from Doncaster was always going to be minimal, you can already get to London from Doncaster in about 90 minutes, why on earth would you trek along the M18/M1 to Meadowhall and get on a train that takes 78 minutes, you have spent more than 12 mins on the road getting there :D

Yes, you are correct, I did not read the report.

You and I are aware that the benefits to Doncaster would be minimal as their rail times to London are good now.

I live in Rotherham, I would have considered using a Meadowhall station but certainly would not consider a Sheffield station as the drive there would wipe out any time saved for me.

The possibility of a Parkway station would be great and I can see that wiping out any potential advantage Sheffield may think they may gain from having their slow branch line.

Good for the city region.

"Doncaster would continue to gain from the extra capacity that would be freed up on the East Coast Mainline".

And as already said above by me, the market for HS 2 in Doncaster would be very very small anyway given it would only get you to London 12 mins quicker than the current trains from Doncaster and it takes longer than 12 minutes to get from Doncaster to Meadowhall by any route you choose to use.

Wasn't the implication that Doncaster would benefit MORE by the line going this new route, than by it going by Meadowhall.

Because an improvement on the East Coast mainline due to less traffic will happen either way.

Wasn't the implication that Doncaster would benefit MORE by the line going this new route, than by it going by Meadowhall.

Because an improvement on the East Coast mainline due to less traffic will happen either way.

Indeed, in any case the market for Donny traffic was always tiny so I dont know why some there are upset by this decision to move the station from Meadowhall, not as if it takes ages to get to London from Donny anyway. Unless they are upset that it will take them longer to get to other places such as Birmingham.