Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

Moving the stop to the city is great news. Meadowhall has always been an odd choice in my opinion. It will contribute greatly to the development of the city centre not to mention give properties a nice boost in value.

Will it really? How? To all intents and purposes nothing will have changed or improved. All the speed gains from the HS2 tracks will be lost as it grinds to a snail pace down the dead end spur to an already crowded station complex. Meadowhall was a far better option with lots of opportunities for expansion and development whereas the space available in the city centre is somewhat limited

Guest busdriver1
Moving the stop to the city is great news. Meadowhall has always been an odd choice in my opinion. It will contribute greatly to the development of the city centre not to mention give properties a nice boost in value.

Yes, I'm alright jack, screw the rest of the Sheffield REGION i.e. Rotherham, Barnsley, Doncaster etc. How very thoughtful of you.

Yes, I'm alright jack, screw the rest of the Sheffield REGION i.e. Rotherham, Barnsley, Doncaster etc. How very thoughtful of you.

Screwed the rest of the region and got sod all out of it. SCC, selfish and thick.

Is it the so called city centre development again?

If the rest of South Yorkshire deserved it more than Sheffield, then it would have shown and the decision to have the station in the city wouldn't have happened.

Time to live with it. :hihi:

The decison to get HS2 in the city centre was purely out of huge lobbying and I would strongly suspect ££££ incentives by our corrupt and incompetent council leaders.

Any practical reasons and costs/benefits to the wider region wouldn't have even entered their minds. Its was all about having a tantrum that "other" cities get their station in a cental location and maintaining their deluded vision that the a couple of city centre square miles around the town hall is the centre of the universe.

Sheffield was always just a pencil mark on the HS2 plans and can quite easily be rubbed off. Meadowhall site had the land, trackbed and easiest routing to allow it to be added to the plans. Now this kerfuffle has created complications, expense and a site totally unsuitable without major works.

If this debarcle created by our moron councillors scrubs off Sheffield as a HS2 destination altogether I hope the voting public will remember that come local election time.

Edited by ECCOnoob

The decison to get HS2 in the city centre was purely out of huge lobbying and I would strongly suspect ££££ incentives by our corrupt and incompetent council leaders.

Any practical reasons and costs/benefits to the wider region wouldn't have even entered their minds. Its was all about having a tantrum that "other" cities get their station in a cental location and maintaining their deluded vision that the a couple of city centre square miles around the town hall is the centre of the universe.

Sheffield was always just a pencil mark on the HS2 plans and can quite easily be rubbed off. Meadowhall site had the land, trackbed and easiest routing to allow it to be added to the plans. Now this kerfuffle has created complications, expense and a site totally unsuitable without major works.

If this debarcle created by our moron councillors scrubs off Sheffield as a HS2 destination altogether I hope the voting public will remember that come local election time.

The money spent on getting "expert" advice and "lobbying" is what a Council should do if it believes it would benefit the city. It might not be the best solution for the region. It might be a way of ensuring connections with Meadowhall. Whatever the reasons SCC does have the influence to illegally promote changes and if you think different please supply or even "leak" your evidence to the anti HS2 lobby who would love this information.

In any case the Council plan has now been rejected for the third time-in favour of a report that had to find ways of saving money. This has yet to be accepted by HS2, the Government or Parliament.

The amount spent by anti HS2 council is running into millions in anti HS2 campaigns, consultancy and legal fees in challenging High Court decisions and appeals.

The address to send your evidence to is 51m email is 51m@buckscc.gov.uk

So the council does some lobbying, gets what it wants and that's incompetence? Why don't you just admit you don't like their politics and whatever they do you're going to criticise them.