Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

If the rest of South Yorkshire deserved it more than Sheffield, then it would have shown and the decision to have the station in the city wouldn't have happened.

Time to live with it. :hihi:

I suspect that what you actually will end up living with is no change. The next round of savings will show that there is actually already a link from Chesterfield to the centre of Sheffield so why bother wasting money on another. So all the lobbying and backhanders will have just made sure that there will be NO HS2 stop in SY instead of the more than sensible stop in Meadowhall

---------- Post added 11-09-2016 at 21:43 ----------

Does this mean it's not going through killamarsh anymore?

Cool!

#nimby

Give it a few months and it wont even be coming to Sheffield or anywhere near it. The SCC tantrum will have made sure that we never get anything in the region

So the council does some lobbying, gets what it wants and that's incompetence? Why don't you just admit you don't like their politics and whatever they do you're going to criticise them.

I'm not sure accusations of corruption are fair, but I think the councilors doing the campaigning for the City Centre station have probably got it wrong.

Bascially what they have achieved is Sheffield is no longer to be on the high speed line - it will be on a loop off the main line - this means Sheffield will get a limited number of services with slower journey times - a bit like Rotherham Central now.

The other thing is that the main benefit of HS2 isn't so much speed, it is about creating more capacity for the rail network, which Sheffield will not get - the Sheffield area will continue to try and cram more and more trains (both passenger and freight) onto a limited infrastructure. If the HS2 trains are to run into Sheffield then something else will probably have to be cut to make room for them.

Does everyone using the train to/from Sheffield need to depart/arrive in the City Centre. Not everyone lives in the City Centre, not every business is based in the City Centre. The Meadowhall option would have had plenty of land for a big station car park, it would have been connected directly to the M1, Supertram, the local rail network and the local bus network - which would all have been developed as a related package.

I'm not sure accusations of corruption are fair, but I think the councilors doing the campaigning for the City Centre station have probably got it wrong.

Bascially what they have achieved is Sheffield is no longer to be on the high speed line - it will be on a loop off the main line - this means Sheffield will get a limited number of services with slower journey times - a bit like Rotherham Central now.

The other thing is that the main benefit of HS2 isn't so much speed, it is about creating more capacity for the rail network, which Sheffield will not get - the Sheffield area will continue to try and cram more and more trains (both passenger and freight) onto a limited infrastructure. If the HS2 trains are to run into Sheffield then something else will probably have to be cut to make room for them.

Does everyone using the train to/from Sheffield need to depart/arrive in the City Centre. Not everyone lives in the City Centre, not every business is based in the City Centre. The Meadowhall option would have had plenty of land for a big station car park, it would have been connected directly to the M1, Supertram, the local rail network and the local bus network - which would all have been developed as a related package.

But what about people who live in Dore Andy? Won't somebody think of them? Cut adrift from the connection to civilisation that is HS2. I'm tearing up here......

But what about people who live in Dore Andy? Won't somebody think of them? Cut adrift from the connection to civilisation that is HS2. I'm tearing up here......

Business travellers that live in dore don't currently use Sheffield station they drive to Chesterfield.

However a direct train from dore station to meadowhall only takes 15 minutes - it was proposed to introduce such a feeder service as part of the hs2 project.

When you explain it like that I have trouble connecting the first paragraph to the rest to be honest.

The end result sounds like a particularly poor deal for the city, so why were the council so vocal in their support for the idea?

When you explain it like that I have trouble connecting the first paragraph to the rest to be honest.

The end result sounds like a particularly poor deal for the city, so why were the council so vocal in their support for the idea?

The main problem the council suffer from is their blind obsession that EVERYTHING has to be in the city centre and that if it isnt then it will have no benefit or use to the city. A station just HAD to be in the city centre even though there is nowhere in the centre to actually put the damn thing!!!

By "end result" I assume you mean the report by Sir David Higgins the former chair of HS2 published in July.

The Council could not have supported that option because their option was the second favourite route planned by HS2 in 2012.

The Higgins option involves a different route and destination and because it is cheaper meets its criteria and is a branch not a through route.

No route has been finalised.

No the end result Andy C described, basically no significant improvement on journey times and no real increase in capacity.

As others have mentioned it now firmly places the Sheffield City stop on the chopping block, should the project fail to meet budget at any point during the development.

Edited by geared