Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

The original proposal was a full speed HS2 line running through Meadowhall.

SCC campaigned to not have that and instead to have the line run through the city centre.

Now they have neither, and we will have a regular speed line as a spur from the HS2 line, meaning much less frequent trains and a (slightly) longer journey time, perhaps with a connection to make to actually get an HS2 train.

The argument they made was that HS2 being 5 minutes from the city centre was useless and that people wouldn't use it... Now it will be considerably further away and of much less benefit to the city.

The original proposal was a full speed HS2 line running through Meadowhall.

SCC campaigned to not have that and instead to have the line run through the city centre.

Now they have neither, and we will have a regular speed line as a spur from the HS2 line, meaning much less frequent trains and a (slightly) longer journey time, perhaps with a connection to make to actually get an HS2 train.

The argument they made was that HS2 being 5 minutes from the city centre was useless and that people wouldn't use it... Now it will be considerably further away and of much less benefit to the city.

Oh I see. But why have HS2 not just stuck with the original default option of HS2 going through Meadowhall?

Surely that is better than what is now proposed. Have SCC campaigned for the city centre option by saying Meadowhall is no good at all (rather than its good, but we can do even better) resulting in the current situation?

To clarify:

The first part of HS2 is from London Euston to Birmingham and is being built.

The second bits are one branch to Manchester and one to Leeds with stations at Nottingham/Derby and one in South Yorkshire. There were originally several routes on the second part of HS2. This was distilled into two.

A station at Meadowhall.

A station at Nunnery/Victoria.

Both would continue to Leeds.

Then Meadowhall was chosen and SCC started a campaign to for a Victoria option.

A report on HS2 cost cutting has led to a new preferred option which is a main route non-stop from Nottingham/Derby to Leeds (passing through Mexborough but no station in South Yorkshire). Near Clay Cross a link will be made from HS2 to the current mainline from London to Sheffield. This plan means one HS2 train per hour would terminate in Sheffield and the loss of one of the current London services. The loop option with connections to the north is a non starter- just a sweetener.

This is still a preferred route. A further announcement is due this month. A final decision is not due until February 2018. The biggest objector to the new route is the Government itself. Justifying HS2 is mainly about the economic benefits. The figures of economic gain to the Sheffield City region (as well as NE and N Derbyshire, N Nottinghamshire, N Lincolnshire and Humberside if as planned there is no new station) will be drastically reduced to the point where some would say not viable.

SCC has spent very little and has had very little/no influence on a Government decision process.

Oh I see. But why have HS2 not just stuck with the original default option of HS2 going through Meadowhall?

Surely that is better than what is now proposed. Have SCC campaigned for the city centre option by saying Meadowhall is no good at all (rather than its good, but we can do even better) resulting in the current situation?

The M18 route is cheaper because it's much flatter. And yes SCC have made a major balls up. From getting a parkway station, we're now being by-passed completely

Here's a picture of the two routes: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEmJBq_XUAAJhTw.jpg:large

Orange is the good route for Sheffield, purple is the one we'll get.

Yes, negative campaigning against the meadowhall option, forcing the HS2 panel to review everything who then settled on another option, perhaps just to make a point to the morons in the council.

To clarify:

SCC has spent very little and has had very little/no influence on a Government decision process.

Actually Annie, SCC has spent a significant amount of money...around a quarter of a million of Council taxpayers money...including £6k on a business breakfast, I am asking the question was this designed to give Dore and Bramall the opportunity to influence Sir David Higgins to change a route that was agreed by virtually all other partners as most beneficial to South Yorkshire.

Actually Annie, SCC has spent a significant amount of money...around a quarter of a million of Council taxpayers money...including £6k on a business breakfast, I am asking the question was this designed to give Dore and Bramall the opportunity to influence Sir David Higgins to change a route that was agreed by virtually all other partners as most beneficial to South Yorkshire.

I would expect every authority along the route to investigate the impact of HS2 on their patch.

These actions cost money.

Councils in the South and London have spent million objecting.

Sheffield has spent its money on the report and on promoting their position that Victoria is the most beneficial for the City- I do not agree with this position.

I would have been far more annoyed if they would have done nothing. One of the functions of a council is to look ahead. Major national/regional infrastructure projects have effects on all our lives. Ignoring them is irresponsible.

Unfortunately we are revisiting a much discussed section of this thread.

This HS2 is a white elephant.

Why not just upgrade the current network and lines from London to Birmingham Mcr Leeds .

Reopening Victoria and upgrading and reopening regional and cross pennine routes in the North would surely benefit Sheffield and Northern cities more than HS2..?? .

It seems the point of HS2 is in making journey times to London quicker by 10 or 15 minutes .. amazing

Edited by WestTinsley

Actually Annie, SCC has spent a significant amount of money...around a quarter of a million of Council taxpayers money...including £6k on a business breakfast,

I thought it was a couple of million, but maybe that was fighting the Ikea & Next Home store development plans?

I forget