Coke from gas works

gosling

And dont forget the clinkers,if your mother put some cawks on the fire they would crack and shoot across the room faster than the shot from a walkers cannon.I wish I had a quid for every time I went to neepsend tip to pick cawks not only for us but the neighbours and we did it for nowt thats what people were like then.Oh grinderbloke you forgot the ensuit.es it would be about 1949-50 and we humped them on our shoulders in owd sacks in all weathers and thought nowt of it.They dont make em like us now!

Gas works tip 1970's

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h182/sretep/img038.jpg

And dont forget the clinkers,if your mother put some cawks on the fire they would crack and shoot across the room faster than the shot from a walkers cannon.I wish I had a quid for every time I went to neepsend tip to pick cawks not only for us but the neighbours and we did it for nowt thats what people were like then.Oh grinderbloke you forgot the ensuit.es it would be about 1949-50 and we humped them on our shoulders in owd sacks in all weathers and thought nowt of it.They dont make em like us now!

There,s nowt worse than clinkers!

• 1 month later...
I can remember going with my mom and baby brother from Newhall Road to the gas place on Upwell Street to get coke. He was born 1947 so it must have been shortly after that. Those big prams were handy weren't they?:thumbsup:

We may have stood in the same queue.I remember going there from Carlisle Rd. Waiting until they weighed the coke and pushing it back home in my sisters pram, who was also born 1947

Archived