Electrician Fail.

What's the purpose of the metal sheathing you suggested should be fixed over the cable in your earlier post?

What's the cable made of: PVC

Supposing you want to put a nail in the wall to hang something on it, the cable has been sunk into the wall and plastered over with any mechanical protection - what do you think is going to happen ?

The nail is going to penetrate the cable and short it out, blow the fuse or knock the breaker off......you won't be able to use that circuit again until the cable is replaced !

The idea of the metal sheathing is to provide some means of mechanical protection and should also have an earth bonding tag from it to go into the back box of the socket outlet or switch if its a lighting circuit.

---------- Post added 18-12-2015 at 00:16 ----------

But if I'm standing over someone checking they've done it right I might as well do it myself.

Firstly, if you had that bit of knowledge I mentioned in my earlier post then you could have done the job yourself - but, you would have had to had it checked out by a professional to ensure that it had been done correctly.

Secondly, it is common sense to check that anyone undertaking electrical work, plumbing work, before they commence work that they are qualified to do so, and in the case of anyone installing gas appliances that they are Corgi registered.

Ask yourself if you would drag in your home any passing bloke and ask him to install for instance a cooker point for you........NO, you would need to verify that he his competent to do so.

Supposing you want to put a nail in the wall to hang something on it, the cable has been sunk into the wall and plastered over with any mechanical protection - what do you think is going to happen ?

The nail is going to penetrate the cable and short it out, blow the fuse or knock the breaker off......you won't be able to use that circuit again until the cable is replaced !

The idea of the metal sheathing is to provide some means of mechanical protection and should also have an earth bonding tag from it to go into the back box of the socket outlet or switch if its a lighting circuit.

Firstly, if you had that bit of knowledge I mentioned in my earlier post then you could have done the job yourself - but, you would have had to had it checked out by a professional to ensure that it had been done correctly.

Secondly, it is common sense to check that anyone undertaking electrical work, plumbing work, before they commence work that they are qualified to do so, and in the case of anyone installing gas appliances that they are Corgi registered.

Ask yourself if you would drag in your home any passing bloke and ask him to install for instance a cooker point for you........NO, you would need to verify that he his competent to do so.

So qualified people never bodge stuff.

Good tip, I'll write that down.

No need for metal trunking if the consumer unit is RCD protected, plastic will do.

It's not Corgi registered any more....... It's Gas Safe.

Metal sheathing provides no mechanical protection from nails or drills. It only provides protection from a plasterers trowel.

As for earthing metal sheathing, I think we can assume you have no idea what you're talking about.

All of which demonstrates that a little knowledge can be dangerous, and leads to people bodging diy electrical work.

---------- Post added 18-12-2015 at 10:55 ----------

No need for metal trunking if the consumer unit is RCD protected, plastic will do.

No need for metal sheathing ever. If you need mechanical protection then use metal conduit.

Edited by Bargepole23

Metal sheathing provides no mechanical protection from nails or drills. It only provides protection from a plasterers trowel.

As for earthing metal sheathing, I think we can assume you have no idea what you're talking about.

All of which demonstrates that a little knowledge can be dangerous, and leads to people bodging diy electrical work.

---------- Post added 18-12-2015 at 10:55 ----------

No need for metal sheathing ever. If you need mechanical protection then use metal conduit.

Don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about - I worked in the electrical trade for 30 odd years on both domestic and industrial contracts. I've never once done a bodge job, I believe in the old saying ' If a jobs worth doing, its worth doing right '

Don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about - I worked in the electrical trade for 30 odd years on both domestic and industrial contracts. I've never once done a bodge job, I believe in the old saying ' If a jobs worth doing, its worth doing right '

Then read the 17th regs and you will see why people are saying what they are saying.

You dont go banging nails in the safe zones ever.

Cables elsewhere have adequate protection, or are deep enough to not worry about a picture hanging nail.

No one should be drilling holes without using a cable detector so a deep cable is still going to be safe.

So why are you posting rubbish about using metal sheathing as mechanical protection. It doesn't provide it, and anybody using your advice to run cables outside of safe zones or without RCD is not compliant to 17th Edition.