Electrician Fail.

What's the cable made of: PVC

Supposing you want to put a nail in the wall to hang something on it, the cable has been sunk into the wall and plastered over with any mechanical protection - what do you think is going to happen ?

The nail is going to penetrate the cable and short it out, blow the fuse or knock the breaker off......you won't be able to use that circuit again until the cable is replaced !

The idea of the metal sheathing is to provide some means of mechanical protection and should also have an earth bonding tag from it to go into the back box of the socket outlet or switch if its a lighting circuit.

---------- Post added 18-12-2015 at 00:16 ----------

Firstly, if you had that bit of knowledge I mentioned in my earlier post then you could have done the job yourself - but, you would have had to had it checked out by a professional to ensure that it had been done correctly.

Secondly, it is common sense to check that anyone undertaking electrical work, plumbing work, before they commence work that they are qualified to do so, and in the case of anyone installing gas appliances that they are Corgi registered.

Ask yourself if you would drag in your home any passing bloke and ask him to install for instance a cooker point for you........NO, you would need to verify that he his competent to do so.

And as far as im aware, cabling (and pipework for that matter) that are sunk in to a wall should be vertical or horizontal where they lead.

And whats CORGI? Its Gas Safe now.

Sheathing was only put in place for protection from nails and corrosive elements in plaster.

Sheathing, either metal or plastic, is now recognised as offering no protection from nails and drills.

And modern plaster and filler has no corrosive effect on modern cabling.

In effect, sheathing is no longer required.

Plastic trunking will reduce the current capacity. Just bury it direct, assuming it's in a safe zone etc. Otherwise follow what the regs say...

I should have put plastic capping, mainly used for protecting from plasterers trowel.

As someone else has mentioned no one should go nailing or screwing into walls without a cable detector anyway...

Sheathing was only put in place for protection from nails and corrosive elements in plaster.

Sheathing, either metal or plastic, is now recognised as offering no protection from nails and drills.

And modern plaster and filler has no corrosive effect on modern cabling.

In effect, sheathing is no longer required.

I'm not sure it was ever to provide protection from nails, since it's usually fixed by knocking nails through it....

Anyway, I still want JOHN HABS to tell how he usually connects these metal sheathings to earth...

I'm not sure it was ever to provide protection from nails, since it's usually fixed by knocking nails through it....

Anyway, I still want JOHN HABS to tell how he usually connects these metal sheathings to earth...

Presumably by actually running earth wires to the socket outlets or light switches. One hopes that the CPC isnt brought out the T+E and made off to them....

just looked up the 17th ed. For mechanical protection against drilling etc it says 3mm of steel. That's heavy duty trunking! (and expensive)

Won't be drawn into this any further, communication from myself regarding the original post

is now terminated.

I suggest that all the people that have had a go at me, read what ever books they want and install ( or have installed by a competent electrician ) whatever electrical fittings they want in anyway they want......makes no difference to me whatsoever.

As regards my mention of being ' Corgi Registered ' I didn't know the name had been changed - but you all knew what I was driving at without the need to ' Split hairs ' and say its call This or That.