Owners of expensive televisions, what do they do for a living?

This is genuinely not a wind-up, although the title is a wink at another thread on here.

A few days ago I was talking to a friend daan saath, he told me an ex-housemate in London rang him to ask for a loan so he could buy a curved television. My friend proceeded to ask if his old television (which they bought together when living in the same house 3 years ago) was broken to which the guy replied: No, but it does not have Smart-TV functions...

This guy is on less then 20K a year, living in a room the size of most people's utility rooms and is thinking of spending 600£ on a TV... What is it about TVs that makes people spend money on them? I can understand if it needs replacing, I could even understand it when people wanted to upgrade to HD, but curved???

PS - my friend told him to stuff it, as he still owed the money for the one he is trying to ditch.

You need a newish smart tv to watch netflix/amazon prime etc. Its like saying why does someone need an iPhone when they have a functioning Nokia brick, they are both technically phones but totally different functionality.

There is a plethora of far cheaper options available than to buy a new TV.

I would guess for some..TV probably defines them 'socially'.

I wouldn`t have thought so because, unlike a car, it`s only seen by the owners or their close friends who will know what they do for a living and so forth anyway.

When I used to be TV engineer in the mid 1990s I was struck by the inverse relationship between the size of people`s TVs and the size / value of their houses. Basically the less the house was worth (e.g. Council houses) the bigger the TV tended to be, but the more the house was worth (large houses in west Sheffield) the smaller the TV tended to be. Whether they had Sky or not also, at that time, followed the same pattern.

You need a newish smart tv to watch netflix/amazon prime etc. Its like saying why does someone need an iPhone when they have a functioning Nokia brick, they are both technically phones but totally different functionality.

All you need to catch Amazon prime/Netflix/Youtube is a £35 Fire stick and a TV with an HDMI input.

This is genuinely not a wind-up, although the title is a wink at another thread on here.

Ahhh, I was so hoping to do a bit of urine taking :wink:

A few days ago I was talking to a friend daan saath, he told me an ex-housemate in London rang him to ask for a loan so he could buy a curved television. My friend proceeded to ask if his old television (which they bought together when living in the same house 3 years ago) was broken to which the guy replied: No, but it does not have Smart-TV functions...

This guy is on less then 20K a year, living in a room the size of most people's utility rooms and is thinking of spending 600£ on a TV... What is it about TVs that makes people spend money on them? I can understand if it needs replacing, I could even understand it when people wanted to upgrade to HD, but curved???

PS - my friend told him to stuff it, as he still owed the money for the one he is trying to ditch.

The curved TVs do look very nice...

I can tell you about myself, but I don't think I'm typical.

I bought an expensive TV, it cost £1500... That's pretty expensive.

I'm convinced it was the right thing to do. I've had that TV now for about 8 years. It's full HD, it has an excellent picture. A brilliant investment IMO. Not the kind that pays me back £2000 when I'm done. But the kind that meant that the TV has just sat there, doing it's job, day in and day out for most of a decade without any fuss and without me ever wondering if I should upgrade it....

That said, I'm now wondering. But we actually want a second TV, we only have the 1, so this one will move to the other room, it will continue to work (and continue to weigh 50kg as well). I will probably spend the same again on a new TV, and I fully expect it to last most of a decade.

So, an expensive TV in that context was bought on the principle of buy quality, buy it once.

In that time my parents have had at least 3 TV's that I can remember. Each one cost 2 to 4 hundred, and I've never thought the picture quality was all that good. They've spent maybe 1k in total, and for the entire time have had a worse (qualitatively) TV than me.

All that said. If I didn't have £1500 to spare, I wouldn't dream of borrowing from a friend to buy a TV. That's ludicrous. I'd use 0% finance if it was offered (as it often is), that's just money in the bank, but otherwise, a TV would have to be bought outright.

---------- Post added 17-12-2015 at 14:33 ----------

You need a newish smart tv to watch netflix/amazon prime etc.

Or a plug in box for <£100 that allows you to watch them.

---------- Post added 17-12-2015 at 14:35 ----------

Some people enjoy watching films and TV. £600 isnt a lot for one, even for someone on 20k. You could be spending that on a computer or nearly that on a phone.

Better bigger picture, with more features. His money his choice.

I'd disagree, that's a net income of £1391 a month.

Living in London you probably spend half that on rent, at least.

If they have a functioning TV, then it's quite a lot to spend for no good reason. And if they have to ask for a loan in order to spend it, then that definitely means that they can't afford it.

Edited by Cyclone