Owners of expensive televisions, what do they do for a living?

I wouldn`t have thought so because, unlike a car, it`s only seen by the owners or their close friends who will know what they do for a living and so forth anyway.

When I used to be TV engineer in the mid 1990s I was struck by the inverse relationship between the size of people`s TVs and the size / value of their houses. Basically the less the house was worth (e.g. Council houses) the bigger the TV tended to be, but the more the house was worth (large houses in west Sheffield) the smaller the TV tended to be. Whether they had Sky or not also, at that time, followed the same pattern.

I wonder if the more affluent people had other hobbies to pursue and therefore spent less time watching television?

This is genuinely not a wind-up, although the title is a wink at another thread on here.

A few days ago I was talking to a friend daan saath, he told me an ex-housemate in London rang him to ask for a loan so he could buy a curved television. My friend proceeded to ask if his old television (which they bought together when living in the same house 3 years ago) was broken to which the guy replied: No, but it does not have Smart-TV functions...

This guy is on less then 20K a year, living in a room the size of most people's utility rooms and is thinking of spending 600£ on a TV... What is it about TVs that makes people spend money on them? I can understand if it needs replacing, I could even understand it when people wanted to upgrade to HD, but curved???

PS - my friend told him to stuff it, as he still owed the money for the one he is trying to ditch.

:huh:

Well, I've heard of Trevor Baylis and his wind-up radio, but it's the first I've heard of Daan Saath and his wind-up TV... :confused:

I wonder if the more affluent people had other hobbies to pursue and therefore spent less time watching television?

Very probably. But I also think that for some people (more so for some "middle class" people ? ) there`s still a feeling that watching TV is a bit of a waste of time, something you only do when you haven`t got anything else to do or the energy to do it. Ironically, in view of the fact my business sells TV aerials and stuff, I feel like that. And I don`t like to see my three year old watching TV, I almost feel I`ve failed as a parent if I see him sat transfixed watching that bleedin` box.... Unfortunately my wife is not of that view, I`m sure you can imagine the rest !

I wouldn`t have thought so because, unlike a car, it`s only seen by the owners or their close friends who will know what they do for a living and so forth anyway.

Sorry, I meant socially not social standing. For some it may be the case that the TV is their only means of social interaction..they see life through the TV. I guess if you're going to sit in front of it 12 hours a day then you're likely to invest in big as well as expensive.

---------- Post added 17-12-2015 at 15:10 ----------

Damn, I don't have any TV. Or car... I must be poor as hell!

But you do have a 20k laptop. :hihi:

Having seen my first real (OLED) one demoing earlier this week at RicherSounds, I must confess that I was staggered by the picture quality and clarity. But that was all to do with OLED being fed a 4k signal, rather than the 'curving' (which IMHO is just another fad, like 3D)

Then the heart skipped a beat long enough for the brain to kick in: our main TV (LG's "best-of-2D-breed" full HD full LED (not edge), 47LE8900 series) is still perfectly fit for purpose, even though the effective abandoning of firmware updates by LG means it's not as smart as it was when we bought, e.g. no more 'built-in' Youtube (beware that issue, people).

I'll be waiting another year or two for large-ish (47-55) OLED screens to come down in price and might upgrade then. Pointless going for 4k now while we're still only getting 35Megs down at the very best, and 'they' (BT at a guess) only just laid down fibre down the road a week ago or so.

Better bigger picture, with more features. His money his choice.
Except it's not, if you read the OP ;)

Having seen my first real (OLED) one demoing earlier this week at RicherSounds, I must confess that I was staggered by the picture quality and clarity. But that was all to do with OLED being fed a 4k signal, rather than the 'curving' (which IMHO is just another fad, like 3D)

Then the heart skipped a beat long enough for the brain to kick in: our main TV (LG's "best-of-2D-breed" full HD full LED (not edge), 47LE8900 series) is still perfectly fit for purpose, even though the effective abandoning of firmware updates by LG means it's not as smart as it was when we bought, e.g. no more 'built-in' Youtube (beware that issue, people).

I'll be waiting another year or two for large-ish (47-55) OLED screens to come down in price and might upgrade then. Pointless going for 4k now while we're still only getting 35Megs down at the very best, and 'they' (BT at a guess) only just laid down fibre down the road a week ago or so.

Except it's not, if you read the OP ;)

Apparently it's a Youtube thing, it's the same with Panasonic. I just got an Amazon Fire stick to do the same job. Unfortunately it's led me to subscribing to Netflix.