Owners of expensive televisions, what do they do for a living?

I picked up an LG 42" Smart TV from Richer Sounds about a year ago for around £420.00. It's perfect, you can't get better.

Anything more expensive, a waste of money … what more can they do?

Curved screens are a gimmick (just like curved phones), and 3D too.

Large TV's are idiotic … you just have to sit further away from the thing to see it properly.

Pointless wasting too much on a telly anyway, as new tech's just round the corner and no one'll want the old ones.

So far as the question 'what do the owners of expensive televisions do for a living?' is concerned, if they're anything like my brother in Canada who has two (yes … two! :loopy:) over ninety inch tellys, probably inventing and patenting something that sells a lot of units is the answer.

Apparently it's a Youtube thing, it's the same with Panasonic. I just got an Amazon Fire stick to do the same job. Unfortunately it's led me to subscribing to Netflix.
It is indeed, when they upgraded their codec a few months back (might even be longer than that).

Miss L00b's Wii-U feeds Youtube to it just fine (surprisingly excellent WiFi performance from this bit of Nintendo kit, I am impressed). Otherwise the 'built-in' BBC iPlayer and Netflix apps still work fine, and there's always the NAS stuffed to the gills with content, over a wired (powerline) LAN.

No shortage of sources these days, the beauty of ever-improving interconnectivity means most anything can feed some form of AV signal to most anything else one way or another, wired or wirelessly. What's mind boggling is to try and K-I-S-S :hihi:

Speaking of which, topically, I just bought a Samsung 32 incher full HD (when I popped into RS) as a replacement PC/xbox monitor for my home office (gadget slush fund-funded, I had been saving pennies and pounds and selling redundant bits and bobs for 6 months to fund that ;)). Under £200 with 5 yr warranty. TVs have never been cheaper IMHO.

My TV came with 3D, I didn't get it because of this, it was just the best TV for the things I did want at the price I was prepared to pay 2 years ago. I've watched one thing in 3D on it, Gravity, and it's not a feature I'd care about in the slightest. Same as the cinema, just not fussed by 3D at all. Does anyone use the 3D feature on their TV a lot? And if you do recommend giving it another go? The 3D effects were v good on the TV I just felt a bit sat with glasses on!

Our TV situation is kinda funny, my father-in-law is a complete and utter geek and buys all the latest stuff (and has the money to do so) - from Macs to high-end SLRs and of course massive TVs. Several years ago he gave us a 50" Panasonic plasma that is WAY too big for the living room. The existing 32" (that he gave us some years before) was then moved to the bedroom (to (passively) watch news in the morning whilst getting ready, but most of the time it doesn't get switched on... and ]it is WAY too big. We also bought a small telly for in the kitchen as I like watching it when cooking (again, usually news also quite fond of Pointless, the Food Network and Quest so one of those is usually on from 5-6.30 until we eat)

So we've gone from having a perfectly functional Loewe TV in a house with 6 rooms in the Netherlands to 3 different TVs in a house with 5 rooms... but most TV is actually brought to us via a non-smart 28" telly tucked away in a corner in the kitchen.

Perhaps I should move the 50" to the kitchen, replace one of the paintings there with the big black slab and hang the painting in the living room where the TV was....

You need a newish smart tv to watch netflix/amazon prime etc. Its like saying why does someone need an iPhone when they have a functioning Nokia brick, they are both technically phones but totally different functionality.

You can get a chrome cast, amazon fire which makes your tv into a Smart TV.

My TV has 3D, doesn't seem to work.

Edited by gamezone07

My understanding is that the person had already told him to stuff it, so if he were to buy the TV it would be his money/liability if you wish to get picky about whether he's borrowed it or got it on credit.

What I did not put in the OP is that this guy has a track-record of running up debt due to daft purchases and, admittedly, making peanuts whilst insisting he should live in London.

So we've gone from having a perfectly functional Loewe TV in a house with 6 rooms in the Netherlands to 3 different TVs in a house with 5 rooms... but most TV is actually brought to us via a non-smart 28" telly tucked away in a corner in the kitchen.
Most TV content is brought to us from/via t'Internet these days :)

Other than the news, and the occasional documentary, I can't remember the last time anything broadcast interested me even remotely. For me at least, it's as much a case of "no time to watch TV" (and it's ever less down to other hobbies/interests, ever more to do with work (mostly) and maintenance (house/cars/etc.) and <etc.>) as a case of outright apathy (ever more of the media content is outright rubbish, the broadcast equivalent of clickbait on social media sites).

Edited by L00b